Theories for successful synthetic oil use in E36 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:33 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
frenchtoast is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Theories for successful synthetic oil use in E36

I have read through a multitude of posts on synthetic oil use on this and other sites. It seems difficult to refute that ultimately synthetic will be better for your car. However, there may be issues with seals starting to leak on older cars. I want to put my '97 328i with 106km on to synthetic and I'm throwing out a couple of thoughts. Please tell me if I'm an idiot...

I keep reading about people using the autoRx to clean their engine and "recondition" the seals. Then they go to synthetic. Why not just switch over to synthetic and let it clean your engine and then add a product to stop your leaky seals if required. Wouldn't this clean your engine and then "recondition" your seals. Follow up with a short first filter and/or oil change interval to remove the crap from your engine. Maybe?

Also what about the idea of moving to a synthetic blend first and then going to a full or "full" synthetic oil. Would there be any benefit to this gradual approach?

Just wonderin' what the smart people think.

Go Leafs Go...Celebrating 40 years of futility!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
The best thing for your car is Lubromoly Voll Synthese (full synthetic). Leaky seals need fixing, not dino oil.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 09:13 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
if your going to move to synthetic than just do it, with only 106k on the car its not that much, my car went full synthetic at 136k and i had not one problem, and i used lubro molly like trig said, but only because my mechanic only uses that. there are a few other brands that i suggest if lubro is hard to get ahold of. sr2000 and mobil1 are a bit more accessable.
again i dont think you will need to do any sort autorx type additive for quite a while as long as the motor was well taken care of.

#4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I switched to Mobil1 at 169,000 and haven't seen any negative consequences. I am now at 202,500 miles. After the first synth oil change, I think I only went like 1,500 miles. Then the next I did 3,000 after that. I have been changing my oild every 6,000 miles ever since. I read somewehre that it was good to shorten the interval at the beginning in order to remove any debris that the synthetic may pry lose inside the engine.

#5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
I do know that BMW motors last a hell of alot longer on full synthetic than on crappy ass dino oil, and once I get mine fully broken in (after the first 10k) I'm going to be switching to Voll Synthese from the BMW oil.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
n00b

n1knightmare is an unknown quantity at this point
I have always used Royal Purple. I have seen some test done in a magazine and it done the best. Mobil 1 Syn. didnt really do all that well on the load test.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
The best thing for your car is Lubromoly Voll Synthese (full synthetic). Leaky seals need fixing, not dino oil.
ehh Mobil or Elf work equally as well...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 AM
5th Gear Member

RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
I use Mobil 1 10w 30 in the summer, 5w30 in the winter. Started when I bought the car with 91k, I'm at 112k now. Lubromoly is the best ive heard, but its very expensive and hard to find.

#9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:49 PM
n00b

frenchtoast is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
After some searching through my engine and oil, I think that I have come to some conclusions about my car....
When I changed the oil it was already synthetic. It was also full of crap and likely the first oil change since it went to synthetic. I think that some of the gaskets may have developed minor leaks which encouraged the previous owner to sell. I filled it up with Mobil1 synthetic 10W30 for high mileage cars in order to get the gasket and seal conditioner. At this point everything seems to be working beautifully and leak free.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Synthetic cleans your engine really well, so most of the time it will be really dark when you drain it. That is nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)