Terrible noise from rear left wheel. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Magice is on a distinguished road
Terrible noise from rear left wheel.

So a few days ago my 1994 325i (that I have had for 2 days) has started making a very nasty sound on the rear wheel. Here's how it started.

I was taking my friend for a quick cruise in the car, just a little 5 mins down the highway. I started smelling a burning smell which got worse and worse. When I pulled to the side one of the wheels was billowing tons of smoke from inside of it. I can't confirm this, but the ebrake might have been on while driving (it doesn't hold at ALL / hasn't). Anyway, a day since then the same rear wheel that was smoking has made a sound that has gotten worse and worse over the days. It sounds like a groan/squeek 2 times per revolution of the wheel. It goes up with speed, and down with speed. It isn't effected by RPM or braking.

The car also pulls to the right noticabley.. put it might be the control arm also, which needs replacing.

That particular disk does feel noticeably warmer than the others, and the caliper stinks VERY strongly of brakes for a long time after driving it..

The car is very low and I haven't been able to figure out how to jack it up.. Tried a few hours and couldn't get lift arms under it properly.

YouTube - grants cars noise

The car has been sitting for 8 months before I started driving it this week.

Any suggestions / ideas? the sound is LOUD and it's horribly embarrassing to drive it.
Magice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
first off, should have bled the brakes, next sounds like a bearing toasted, also chances are brakes are sticking a bit or a warped rotor is giving you fits.

as far as lifting it goes, best thing to do is drive it up on 2x4's and then lift from those.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Magice is on a distinguished road
Also, it doesn't make the sound while going into reverse.

Do you think if it is the wheel bearing that it would be DIYable for me.. I haven't really ever worked on cars before, but I understand he principles to it, and can follow instructions.
Magice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
sonds like your Ebrake... (seven does the same thing)
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Firstly, I would say its your brake and not the bearing, sticky caliper and now you've warn the pads out hence smoke, disc hot because friction and caliper hot due to heat from the friction.

I would say dismantle get the caliper greased up and working properly and a new set of pads.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1998 328is 2003 325xi
Photos:
jmo69 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Definatley brakes. These should cover about everything you'll need.
Pelican Technical Article: E-Brake Adjustment
Pelican Technical Article: Replacing BMW Brake Pads
Pelican Technical Article: BMW Parking Brake Shoe Replacement

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)