Temperature/fanspeed/airflow Bulbs - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
acerche is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Does anyone know if replacing the illumination behind the temperature dials / fan speed dial and air flow designation is a big task?
acerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
pull off the fan speed knob and vent knob. This will reveal 2 screws- unscrew them. Jimmy the black faceplate off and there is the bulb behind it. Replace and your good to go..

My 1993 325i
93 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
acerche is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 93 325i@Jan 5 2005, 01:51 PM
pull off the fan speed knob and vent knob. This will reveal 2 screws- unscrew them. Jimmy the black faceplate off and there is the bulb behind it. Replace and your good to go..
[snapback]264974[/snapback]
Awesome, and where do i buy the bulbs, do I have to go to BMW dealer?
acerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
willis is an unknown quantity at this point
yea where do you get them that panel never comes on in my shit either
willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ajames is an unknown quantity at this point
Sylvania 2721 = the bulb you need.

i just did it myself. found the bulbs at either Advance or Autozone, can't remember which. There's only one bulb for the HVAC unit, but while you're at it, the dial for your lights and the fog button (left of steering wheel) also should light up. For that one, just remove the crew underneath the dash to release the vent+nob unit, unscrew the connector and the clip, and there is a small tube the bulb goes in. Pry out the tube (you'll just see a plastic circle at first), and there's a bulb at the end.

it made me happy when i did this because i felt like my baby was healthy again.
ajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
willis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ajames@Jan 11 2005, 04:13 PM
Sylvania 2721 = the bulb you need.

i just did it myself. found the bulbs at either Advance or Autozone, can't remember which. There's only one bulb for the HVAC unit, but while you're at it, the dial for your lights and the fog button (left of steering wheel) also should light up. For that one, just remove the crew underneath the dash to release the vent+nob unit, unscrew the connector and the clip, and there is a small tube the bulb goes in. Pry out the tube (you'll just see a plastic circle at first), and there's a bulb at the end.

it made me happy when i did this because i felt like my baby was healthy again.
[snapback]269094[/snapback]
i got the thing pried off and jiggled the bulb around and it lit up, so im not thinking its the bulb but a connection behind it that is loose, i need more time to fool around with it though. but having these little things working and lighthing up make me so happy. everythings gotta shine.
willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Same thing with mine..if you hit the panel a few times the light will come on but after a few minutes it goes out. I bet the bulb it just on its way out. I would replace bulb and see what happens. AFter all it's a very cheap solution

My 1993 325i
Old 01-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1993 325i
Photos:
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to victorgallas Send a message via AIM to victorgallas Send a message via MSN to victorgallas
i got the thing pried off and jiggled the bulb around and it lit up, so im not thinking its the bulb but a connection behind it that is loose, i need more time to fool around with it though. but having these little things working and lighthing up make me so happy. everythings gotta shine.
[snapback]269374[/snapback]
[/quote]

The reason why the bulb began workign agin when you jiggle it is because the vibration made the thin filament, the had broken, to touch the other pole and so current can go trough.

and off course it will go dead after a couple of minutes, just replace the light bulb..

is 2 dollar fix. or less.

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
funny you revived this thread..I went to change that bulb and cannot grip it to pull it out. How the hell do you get a grip on the bulb to remove!? I tried pliers..no go..my fingers keep slipping..anyone got a tip?

My 1993 325i
Old 01-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Send a message via ICQ to victorgallas Send a message via AIM to victorgallas Send a message via MSN to victorgallas
Quote:
Originally posted by 93 325i@Jan 20 2005, 01:18 PM
funny you revived this thread..I went to change that bulb and cannot grip it to pull it out. How the hell do you get a grip on the bulb to remove!? I tried pliers..no go..my fingers keep slipping..anyone got a tip?
[snapback]275599[/snapback]

What can happens is that the last owner or some other mechanic the replaced that lamp might have used a similar light, but different, so he forced the lamp in and it gets stuck, I almost did this on the haedlights swicht. there a little lamp in there just as the AC unit..

Keep trying it should come straigh out as you pull it. sometimes the contacts rust and the lamps get stuck.

also if worse comes to worse and the lamp brakes, dont freak out, just remove the ac control unit out of the car, open the unit on the rear taking the housing screws out and then you see the main board and the lamp holder, this way youll get the broken lamp out and i would recomend you to get a contact spray cleaner and spray over the board, so it will dry out any moisture that it has built into it. this helps keep the board nice and dry so it will function properly.

Anyway if you need some other stuff let me know.

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Old 01-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks! you've been more than helpful...You must be a BM Tech, right? You have knowledge in just about every aspect of the bimmer

My 1993 325i
Old 01-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by 93 325i@Jan 20 2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks! you've been more than helpful...You must be a BM Tech, right? You have knowledge in just about every aspect of the bimmer
[snapback]275694[/snapback]

well im not a BMW tech yet, but im hoping i become part of BMW when i graduate, that is why i attend Clemson University in South Carolina, they work together with bmw on research programs and other mechanical engeneering activies.. the Factory is 40 min away form here, i've been there 4 times already for tours, and i love it, every time i go...
I got started on a BMW way back on my brothers friends old 525i, he left on our driveway for a couple of month as a favor while he traveled and he asked me if i could fix the car.. so that was my lab there. And then i got my e36,, since then i havent stopped... I love the BMW culture, machinery and spirit..

But im still learning, im a freshman, so i still have long time to go until i graduate...

well im happy to know my advice is been helpfull.

please keep asking. Thank you all.

Fraude an Fahren

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)