BMW Werkz banner

tail light and brake light failure

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  smacker 
#1 ·
i got this message this morning in my check control all all my lights work. i checked the brake lights the turn signals every single tail light they all work fine, anyone know what i can do? or what can cause this?thanks

#2 ·
I had the same problem on my 323i E46 99, the check light was on and I replaced all the lights and they worked but the check light was still on. What it turned out to be is that the wire harness cable that connects to the light housing; one of the pins was slightly burned and melted. This causes a slight voltage irregularity thrown to the computer telling it there is a fault even though the lights still work. So check all your wire connections very closely and see if you have any abnormalities or burned out pins.

#4 ·
Hey.....common problem in the e36.....9 times out 10 its the brake switch under the brake pedal.....also aftermarket bulbs.....if you have the slightest break in continuity it will trip the warning but your lights will still work.....make sure all your bulb contacts to the light socket contacts are clean & solid....also check out the wiring harness that is mounted to the driver's side trunk hinge....check out these links

brakeswitch.page

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e36/attention-all-e36-owners-beware-wiring-55136.html
johnny,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.