Synthetic or regular oil? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
am4tide is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy

I just purchased a 1995 BMW 318i with approximately 76K miles. My mechanic is asking me to consider going with a synthetic oil. He is a very sound mechanic, and I trust his opinion highly, but I have no experiences with synthetic oils.

I am looking for second opinions here. How will the use of synthetic oil impact 1) engine wear and 2) gas mileage? He recommends changing the synthetic at 8,000 miles. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
i thought synthetic was only recommended for 6 cylinders...maybe i was wrong then...
Q

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JUST SOLD:</span> <span style='color:blue'>01 BMW 330i with Sport &amp; M Package(5sp)</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
#3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
I use synthetic in all of my cars (4and 12 cylinder), I change oil once a year and filter every 5,000 miles. I have 130,000 on my 1988 750 and she use no oil between changes.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

jimwww is an unknown quantity at this point
Two of the guys in our club here in Vancouver Canada went to synthetic and had to overhaul their engines. Our club here does NOT recommend synthetic here.
I will not put it in my car.

Sold my 1995 BMW 318is 5spd Boston Green

<a href='http://www.jimwww.com' target='_blank'>My Webpage</a>
<a href='http://www.jimwww.com/bmw/' target='_blank'>My Pics</a>
*jimwww is a Professional Photographer, Film maker and Webmaster.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
alot depends on mileage and condition of the engine. Yours is till young enough to switch, but switch now. Monitor the oil level, and if there is any burnoff or leak, go back to mineral.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

frank de jonge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to frank de jonge
Full synthetic all the way. The thinner the oil the better the engine runs.

Drive fast, Fly low, Drive a BMW
#7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 08:03 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
If your car leaks with synthetic but not with regular, it's because the dirt/sediment has settled into the leaks of your engine. When you switch all that dirt/sediment will be flushed out over the next few oil changes. Your engine will run better. But if its old it's going to start leaking. Sumarily I wouldn't reccomend switching back if you've switched to synthetic and have changed your oil a couple times. Also you don't have to change your oil as often with synthetic. Amsoil you can actually go 15,000 or 25,000 miles (can't remember which too early) on an oil change before the oil even starts to go do a worse job. Switching doesn't hurt your engine. Any damage to your engine has already been done by you or because you've used nonsynthetic for so long.

Quote:
jimwww Posted on Jul 14 2004, 01:41 AM
Two of the guys in our club here in Vancouver Canada went to synthetic and had to overhaul their engines. Our club here does NOT recommend synthetic here.
I will not put it in my car.
Thats like the guy that was here about a month or two ago saying that he put feul injector clenaer in his car and then blamed it when his car wouldn't start two days later. Go back and look at the post and see what we told him. We'd basically tell your friends the samething but put synthetic oil where you see fuel injector cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)