sway bar - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
keple9801 is on a distinguished road
sway bar

another question,

i looked up the rear of my 94 325i, and saw a sway bar (if i'm not mistaken)

is there a stock sway bar in ever e36?

should i get a new one if it is true?
keple9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Yes there is... there's one in the front also. Some have a rear X-brace also.

Upgrading sway bars and adding the xbrace if you don't have it are both good things to do. X-brace is really only for at the limit of handling. Helps get rid of that touch of understeer.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thank you,

i just get a strut bar then
Old 09-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
If you want a good strut brace you should get a mason one. They are expensive though..

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
but can anyone tell me besides the quality of the steel/aluminum that the strut bar is made of, what other disadvantages does those cheap aftermarket ones have?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
They are cheap quality typically generic application. If the sway bar balance is off it will destroy the handling characteristics of your car. Too much front and the car will understeer horribly and be easier to "dog leg" or three wheel where the rear inside wheel will come off the ground. Too strong in the rear and the car will oversteer, excessive rear will cause the car to reverse "dog leg" and your front inside wheel will come off the ground there by potentially causing horrible results.

Further cheap sway bars can break, bend or any other number of faults and defects can manifest themselves. I would look at sway bars sold by reputable vendors, look at Bavauto, Ireland Engineering, BMP or similar reputable BMW racing/modification/ sites for guidance on good sway bars.

For the 94 E36 body you will want to do all of your suspension upgrades at once to save yourself money in labor. You will want to do the following: rear E46 strut mounts, springs and struts all four corners and front/rear sway bar as described above. If you still feel a bit of understeer go for the rear x-brace. If you plan on doing tire/wheel modifications. You might as well go ahead and do them around the same time, anything crazy low with the suspension and you will want to get camber kits, if wheel spacers are needed this can cause bigger problems with camber depending on the drop of your suspension parts. .

Or you can do it piece by piece and end up with a lot more labor on your hands or out of your pocket.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
installing it myself thankfully....but will do it all at once as suggested...

here's the plan: i'm keeping my 17" M3 wheel , and buying bilstein sports and H&R springs. by the specs i saw on the net it should drop about 1/4" front and back? reinforcing all four mounts, and getting both strut bars considering stock sways are in place.
hopefully will be enough for daily commute? it's very hard on my ass right now

much appreciated for the explanation above and thank you
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keple9801 View Post

here's the plan: i'm keeping my 17" M3 wheel , and buying bilstein sports and H&R springs. by the specs i saw on the net it should drop about 1/4" front and back? reinforcing all four mounts, and getting both strut bars considering stock sways are in place.

Nice plan......I went with the 17" Beyerns & Bilstein Sports & H&R Sport springs....& a Racing Dynamics Front Stressbar. The car sits nice.....ride is stiff, but not hard over bumps & handles like a dream.......my next upgrade will be an Eibach sway bar kit & rear Racing Dynamics Stressbar......good luck with everything......
johnny,

Eibach Anti-Roll Kit

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 09-11-2008 at 02:47 PM.
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keple9801 View Post

Which H&R Springs are you looking at? I thought they all drop more than an inch...
Old 09-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid View Post
Which H&R Springs are you looking at? I thought they all drop more than an inch...
Yeah, they say the H&R Sports on average have a 1.5" to 2.0" drop.....

H&R Springs || Products || H&R Special Springs, LP
Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 94 325 / 93 MR2 turbo...
Photos:
saylee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saylee
yea they drop 1.5 to 2.0...i have some currently installed in my car

" The path of righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day."

Proverbs 4:18
saylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 94 325 / 93 MR2 turbo...
Photos:
saylee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saylee
Johhnybayonne...i dig your car..its clean

" The path of righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day."

Proverbs 4:18
saylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
--H&R OE Sport Spring Set
Ride Height: Minimal Lowering
Note: Avg Low 1.0"F .50"R
For models after 6/22/92--

--H&R Sport Spring Set
Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
Note: Avg Low 1.5"F 1.0"R
Does not include convertable.
For models made before 6/21/92--

--H&R Race Spring Set
Ride Height: Extreme Lowering
Note: Avg Low 2.0"F 1.3"R
For models after 6/22/92 Performance aftermarket shocks or struts are highly recommended in this application--

thank you johnny for the links
Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos:
The OE sport ones from my understanding do not really help handling at all. I've never used them though, so I can't say for sure personally.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saylee View Post
Johhnybayonne...i dig your car..its clean
Thank you, saylee.......
johnny,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)