BMW Werkz banner

sway bar

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  iamcreepingdeath 
#1 ·
another question,

i looked up the rear of my 94 325i, and saw a sway bar (if i'm not mistaken)

is there a stock sway bar in ever e36?

should i get a new one if it is true?

#2 ·
Yes there is... there's one in the front also. Some have a rear X-brace also.

Upgrading sway bars and adding the xbrace if you don't have it are both good things to do. X-brace is really only for at the limit of handling. Helps get rid of that touch of understeer.

#6 ·
They are cheap quality typically generic application. If the sway bar balance is off it will destroy the handling characteristics of your car. Too much front and the car will understeer horribly and be easier to "dog leg" or three wheel where the rear inside wheel will come off the ground. Too strong in the rear and the car will oversteer, excessive rear will cause the car to reverse "dog leg" and your front inside wheel will come off the ground there by potentially causing horrible results.

Further cheap sway bars can break, bend or any other number of faults and defects can manifest themselves. I would look at sway bars sold by reputable vendors, look at Bavauto, Ireland Engineering, BMP or similar reputable BMW racing/modification/ sites for guidance on good sway bars.

For the 94 E36 body you will want to do all of your suspension upgrades at once to save yourself money in labor. You will want to do the following: rear E46 strut mounts, springs and struts all four corners and front/rear sway bar as described above. If you still feel a bit of understeer go for the rear x-brace. If you plan on doing tire/wheel modifications. You might as well go ahead and do them around the same time, anything crazy low with the suspension and you will want to get camber kits, if wheel spacers are needed this can cause bigger problems with camber depending on the drop of your suspension parts. .

Or you can do it piece by piece and end up with a lot more labor on your hands or out of your pocket.

#7 ·
installing it myself thankfully....but will do it all at once as suggested...

here's the plan: i'm keeping my 17" M3 wheel , and buying bilstein sports and H&R springs. by the specs i saw on the net it should drop about 1/4" front and back? reinforcing all four mounts, and getting both strut bars considering stock sways are in place.
hopefully will be enough for daily commute? it's very hard on my ass right now

much appreciated for the explanation above and thank you

#8 · (Edited)
Nice plan......I went with the 17" Beyerns & Bilstein Sports & H&R Sport springs....& a Racing Dynamics Front Stressbar. The car sits nice.....ride is stiff, but not hard over bumps & handles like a dream.......my next upgrade will be an Eibach sway bar kit & rear Racing Dynamics Stressbar......good luck with everything......
johnny,

Eibach Anti-Roll Kit

#13 ·
--H&R OE Sport Spring Set
Ride Height: Minimal Lowering
Note: Avg Low 1.0"F .50"R
For models after 6/22/92--

--H&R Sport Spring Set
Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
Note: Avg Low 1.5"F 1.0"R
Does not include convertable.
For models made before 6/21/92--

--H&R Race Spring Set
Ride Height: Extreme Lowering
Note: Avg Low 2.0"F 1.3"R
For models after 6/22/92 Performance aftermarket shocks or struts are highly recommended in this application--

thank you johnny for the links

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.