Suspensions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 03:52 PM
General Chaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
(Thread Starter)
hey all, im bout to pull out a small loan and fix up my car. i need to know what shocks/springs u guys are running and how much they roughly cost and where u guys got 'em from
thanks.
(btw do all the suspensions come with the ability to raise and lower/ tighten and loosen? or only some.)
and if the answer is no what suspensions have that ability (rough cost)and i want to drop my car like 1.5 from the front and 1 in that back or something because i dont like how my car looks higher in the front...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

eskiasu is an unknown quantity at this point
1) I have an Eibach and Bilstein (sport) set up. I heard other people going with H&R springs also but Bilstein is usually the usual for sport shocks. Both of these spring companies has different brand of springs for different height (look this part up yourself). Total, mine ran about 600-700. One of the best place to get it Bavauto.com and understeer.com
2) No, not all suspension comes so that you can raise and lower them. These are called coilover system. They cost about $1000+ for a good one. (i.e. ground control) You could buy shocks and coilover springs separately but I wouldn't recomend it.
Lastly:
Personally, I don't like it too low (unless you're autox or track) because if you have a pair of 17"+ rims, it would go under the wheel well so it looks all low-rider-ish. It just looks bad.

Booyashaka!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear Member

B_w. is an unknown quantity at this point
i have h&r sport springs, bilstein sport shocks, eibach sway bars, and a bmw motorsport x-brace. i thinks the total was about $2500 CDN

turbo 2.8
cp pistons, eagle rods, gt35r, tec3
#4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 03:38 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
look at the sig, its in there somewhere.

#5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

rmxpete is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought that "eskiasu" summed it up nicely!, I have pedders 30mm lowered coils which are progressive this is a must for BMWS some aftermarket stuff is not progressive but like big thick wire it makes the car handle like shit !!!!!. Progressive are alittle more than normal but it is what the car is designed for. they were 120each NZ about 80bucks american I think? then I went to short stroke HIGH repertion spelling? bilston shocks all around many people just put beefer shocks in but I think it is essencial to put the lowered ones i for a better setup, I got all the M-TEC stuff like struts etc.

PS I had my car down to 52mm of the ground I am not sure what the orginal ride height of a 328is is but I beleve its a drop of about 2 inchs maybe more, if you are serious about lowering your car make with absoulute certainy that you make sure your car does not touch the dive shaft, diff or any other parts of the underneath, the first thing that you will break is the plastic under the brakes and radiator, their pretty cheap though and get your second one made up in alloy heaps better,
Um I think thats all. the reason I say this is because you can go way way to low and it will damage your car SEVERLLY. I spent about $2-3 fixing up my car as the guy before me had lowered it to the ride heght I said earlyer, all the bump stops kept wearing out the drive shaft got caught up in the insulation in the tunnel. I blew a shock out etc.
the setup was standard with kings installed, they were not progressive either.
and just if your wondering the guy put them in just a couple of days before I brought it and I saw the date of purchase I drove it for a further 2 weeks then changed it!

just my 2c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)