BMW Werkz banner

Suspension Question

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  92_325i 
#1 ·
this may sound stupid and might have been answered before, but i couldnt find everything i needed to know. i've been doing some research on coilovers for the 1992 325i that i just bought, and have yet to find any made for the 92 model year. i searched and found out that this was due to BMw using different strut mounts or something. now, my question is, what is needed to make a set of coilovers work? also, what coilovers do you have or prefer? i want something stiff, very stiff. my passengers can get over it. any help would be great.

#3 ·
Most likely it's because of the tabs on the front struts which the front sway bar mounts to. After 1992 they started mounting the front sway bars to the control arms rather than the struts. So you have a few otions.

1. Get someone to weld some tabs onto the struts for you.

2. Get a front sway bar meant to be mounted to the control arms.

3. Get Shock/spring combo instead of coilovers.

Bry

#4 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Oct 15 2004, 05:17 PM
Most likely it's because of the tabs on the front struts which the front sway bar mounts to. After 1992 they started mounting the front sway bars to the control arms rather than the struts. So you have a few otions.

1. Get someone to weld some tabs onto the struts for you.

2. Get a front sway bar meant to be mounted to the control arms.

3. Get Shock/spring combo instead of coilovers.

Bry
[snapback]211879[/snapback]​
ok, i like the idea of number 2 there. is there any modifications that need to be done to the control arm then?

#5 ·
5/92 and earlier use a different type of strut mount in the top. Completely different from the sway bar stuff, it's actually a different size of the parts on top of the struts. You need a coversion kit that can be found at like turner and then you just use the coil overs you want.

#7 ·
ok...it makes sense now. somewhere i read for H&R coilovers, extra parts were needed for the 92 model and that they were available. i got it. thanks for all of your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.