BMW Werkz banner

Suspension Question

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  thekid 
#1 ·
Hey guy im about to order 17 in rims for my car and the H&R Springs to lower it a little? How long can my stock shocks last until i have enough money to buy the bilstein shocks?

#3 ·
some key factors are involved in the answer.. one is the amount of miles you have,, what type of driving you do (city, country, highway etc) and lastly how hard you corner and drive in general.

my stock mtech suspension lasted 10 years no problem, when i changed my shocks and springs, they were still in good shape

#5 ·
i got 118,000 miles on my car....it was mostly driven on the highway but now i drive it around urban areas not in the city! The car is in perfect shape though. Absolutely no problems what so ever and the engine is spotless.

So what do you guys think....how much longer u think they could last with the H&R springs?

#6 ·
ok.... so say they are 45-65% degraded from original equipment. and it has taken 120k miles to do that. I would venture to say that with the addition of H&R springs.... sport... would probably cut the life of the shock by 1/3rd... and if you went with race springs... maybe 1/2 the life....

That should help. I would start saving now... so that when you get the money.. go a head and buy some bilsteins.. for the ride.. and for the integrity of the cars frame... so that your not putting too much pressure on the tower with weak shocks.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions... feel free to PM me... I have a desent understanding of H&R products and how good and bad they work with bilsteins.... just an offer... :rock

#7 ·
look at it this way. Unless you do the spring installation yourself they are going to charge you $300-$400 dollars to install the springs. Then in a year or two, or perhaps longer when you have to replace your struts they will charge you the same $300-$400. So even though now you have to pay the extra cash for struts, it saves you the cost of labor, because they won't charge you double labor, they'll just charge you for the rear struts, because the struts don't go through the spring, but they may not charge you the labor since you are getting the springs done as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.