Supercharger deal(?) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
quentin carlson is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Supercharger deal(?)

Whats going on guys, I just ran into a deal on a vf supercharger that is really hard to pass up. I drive a 95' 325is with 97xxx miles on it, I have a stock clutch and diff. I can get the supercharger for a real good price but how much will I have to spend in other supporting mods?
Thanks for the help,
Quentin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 03:50 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
It depends on how much boost it runs and if it's the compete kit. If it runs up to say... 8 psi you should be able to run it on stock internals. This will shorten the life of your engine somewhat. Let us know what all would be coming with it and we can help you out a bit more.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
OK - real quick here is a start. You will need your ECU chip reprogrammed and if the kit is not new, VF won't do it, certainly without being specially paid. There are bolt on housing materials etc for install and other Bosch parts designed for the SC unit. The stock brakes on your E36 are not beefy enough for boost so you need a big brake kit, sooner than later. Then, the new brakes won't fit under your wheels of they are stock, and you'll need new ones and perhaps spacers to clear the brakes. Then of course there are the tires for the new wheels...

Suspension is also an issue, and improving yours for decent performance is recommended or the new power will have your back end shooting out on corners etc.

All this makes for an expensive and slippert slope indeed (like what happened to ME la$t summer!)

Consider these things carefully. Let us know what else comes with your new kit as Kid asked and more help may come. Good luck!

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 PM
n00b

Z32001 is on a distinguished road
This thread sounds really interesting. I'm looking to supercharge my 2001 Z3 3.0i and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. My car is an automatic. I'm looking at a VF Engineering kit with a Vortec blower. It's rated at 6 PSI and I'm supposed to get 105 HP additional at about 6800 RPM with 75 Ft/Lbs of additional torque at about 6300 RPM. I've found somebody to do the work, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something besides the kit they are selling (which includes the chip). Thoughts?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
First off, where do you live and are you getting the kit new or used, and from a private seller or a professional authorized dealer?? I suspect it is a private deal yes? You need to get the ECU chip "flashed". (updated with the latest version of its BMW software at the dealer so that VF knows what it's getting when it adds the high performance software, resets the rev limiter and removes the speed governor etc. A good dealer can do this and it costs a bit over $100.

Also, presuming you can do all the above, you also need to know that after maybe an initial immediate 'kick' in power from the completed SC, you likely need to drive approx 500 miles to allow the ECU chip to "re-map" itself and achieve full 6 psi boost. This is a frustrating time that seems to take forever but is worth the wait since when it is over....ZOOOOOOOOM!!!

Sorry to hear you have an automatic - Automatic in a Z3 FTL!

RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Last edited by RoadsterMadness; 03-29-2008 at 10:31 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

saylee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saylee
Roadster Madness...Your Z3 is super clean...

" The path of righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day."

Proverbs 4:18
#7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 02:51 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylee View Post
Roadster Madness...Your Z3 is super clean...
Hey thanks man! I've really worked hard on it and put a whole lot into it and into taking care of it - inside and out! If you're new to teh Werkz as your post count says, you can check out the spread I have in the "vbGarage" if you are interested. (Hint - I love it when people leave good comments on the bottom of that page...)

It has been a great car from the start and I've added to it a little each year until last year when boost turned into everything else! I will say that it is now a true "enthusiast's car" with an absolutely pure sport ride and handling - just pure sex in season with top down! and knowing my suspension, brakes and power band can smoke a Z3 M Roadster just makes it all the more satisfying.

Seriously, I do appreciate your compliments since that kind of stuff makes all the effort seem worth it (that and driving the thing! )

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Why don't you make them all REALLY jealous and tell them how you got it...

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 AM
1st Gear Member

saylee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saylee
Teh Prof, i like your E39....it seems pretty fast also..How much horsepower do you think your pushing out of that supercharger...>>??...and the Angel Eyes are looking really nice..

" The path of righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day."

Proverbs 4:18
#10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 AM
n00b

eurospec325i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to eurospec325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin carlson View Post
Whats going on guys, I just ran into a deal on a vf supercharger that is really hard to pass up. I drive a 95' 325is with 97xxx miles on it, I have a stock clutch and diff. I can get the supercharger for a real good price but how much will I have to spend in other supporting mods?
Thanks for the help,
Quentin
thekid is on the money , listen to him , 8psi is fine , u want more prepare to spend big...good luck...
#11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by saylee View Post
Teh Prof, i like your E39....it seems pretty fast also..How much horsepower do you think your pushing out of that supercharger...>>??...and the Angel Eyes are looking really nice..
Thank you. 440bhp/420ft-lbs tqe.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
Why don't you make them all REALLY jealous and tell them how you got it...
Back in the Spring of 2002 when I had my E39 528i (which I loved), I got a call from my friend who was the head of service at my local BMW dealer that I had to come down right away. So, I ran over there and was told that an 82year old man had hit a 5 diamond slot machine jackpot in Vagas and that upon asking "how much he won" he was told he didn't win any money, he'd won "THAT!" pointing to my car to be (which is why it had stock BMW Chrome wheels, an M package inside and most of the options. Since the old man had nothing to do with a shiny new Roadster, he shipped it back to NYC and traded it in to my dealer for a new sedan. There were 74 miles on the car AFTER my test drive and I was able to buy it "USED" with les than 100 miles on the car and they threw in an extra year and 15K miles on the warranty! I put down my deposit that day and picked her up within 2 weeks after unloading my E39 . I paid $10K under sticker!

I found the "Desert BMW of Las Vgas" paperwork and window sticker in the car - all was legit. I've had her ever since that day, 6/22/2002, the last production year of the Z3.

On another note, you are good to notice Prof's awesome E39, which, in similar ways to my car, as good as they look, they dfrive better (I can attest first hand to this on both cars!). And $hit they SHOULD, after each of us dropped over $20K in mods into them! Ahh but what terrific machines to have and enjoy for so very many years to come!

Mine is a TOTAL sleeper, with all the original markings that M3's can never understand how I am keeping up with them until and unless they actually speak to me or get close and hear what several M3 owners I've run with have called "the WHINE"....

Prof's has the Dinan badging, yet these silly kids still just won;t learn that those are not idle markings, and that depsite theuir shiny new twiun turbo six's in the 35's, they dealin' wit' teh Supercharged Dinan all around EIGHT in that thang baybee...Buh-bye!!!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
RM... you are LUCKY!!! wish I had 20k to drop into my car >.>; <.<; you Z is one of the cleanest I've ever seen.... boost ftw....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
RM spare some change? say 5k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
RM spare some change? say 5k?
sell the 328 and get an M3(or if a good deal comes along an M5) here you'll make money! BTW i found a dinan e30 if you bro is still interest...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)