Supercharger - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fabcal is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Supercharger

hey guys, I heard that the supercharger would be better for my car then a turbo. I would like to know if it would be a safe move cause my engine only have 37700 miles on it and I really wouldn't like to break it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
you only have 38k on your 1995 325is? dang! a supercharger is easier and cheaper, but makes less horsepower than a turbo. Active Autowerke makes a good kit: activeautowerke.com

#3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Both options are safe if done properly. The supercharger will probably be cheaper. Although you drive a BMW and live in Haiti, so money might not be an issue. Depending on how great of gains you're wanting a turbo might be what you want. I would do lots of research on whatever setup you choose, active does sell good products. I'd also recommend you have it installed at a knowledgeable shop. There's a lot of work involved in doing it right and having people with experience is key.

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I say turbo it.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Neutral Member

ian3 is on a distinguished road
turbo it.......

///M
#6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Aight, thanks a lot guys.
I'll be in florida next week and will be looking for parts like M3 front bumper, springs, rims, etc... does anybody knows I could find some great deals?
#7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Neutral Member

garbone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garbone
it depends on the driver i say. Yeah in the long run you can see more gains with a turbo setup. . . Having a constant boost through the entire rpm range is also a really great feeling. Ive seen track times for supercharged setups completely smoke turbo setups. running 12 psi 100% of the time vs. running 15 psi for 30 seconds - 40 seconds.

just my $.02. i have vehicles with both and love both, just for different reasons.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Just to clarify, being s/c'ed does not mean you run the same amount of boost all the time. Boost is dependent on engine revs in s/c's too. I don't hit full boost until I hit redline with my centrifugal supercharger. Twin screw s/c's are a little different.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light
Turbo plz

99 Dakar M3
|Conforti|Sharked|TC Kline SA|DEPO||BBS|M50 MANIFOLD|UUC|DDM|SPARCO|OEM X BRACE||SSK|ECS TUNING|MISHIMOTO|
#10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Check out KO Performance on line and look at prices and options. Then get a recommended shop. They are Florida based (Miami).

Remember, if your go with forced induction, you will nbeed to spend $$ on big brakes, suspension, gauges and other new parts for your car. Do not forget these additional costs. That said, both options are a lot of fun! Try and find a way to test both!

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light
Do NOT go to KO. They took ALOT of ppls money on bimmerfourms. Last I heard they went out of business...

99 Dakar M3
|Conforti|Sharked|TC Kline SA|DEPO||BBS|M50 MANIFOLD|UUC|DDM|SPARCO|OEM X BRACE||SSK|ECS TUNING|MISHIMOTO|
#12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:49 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Really??! Very interesting. I will look into this with interest. If nothing else they were always responsive and stood by their word.

It has been awhile though, maybe they changed owners or something. I guess I agree - wait as I donlt want you running into trouble on my account. Thanks for the heads up Monty...

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Neutral Member

garbone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garbone
my first post wasnt meant to be literal.

As a daily driver the majority of the time spent driving is in a range better suited for a super charger. (for the non-aggresive driver)

dont get me wrong. A turbo will be better in the long run, i was just giving a different point of veiw than the masses that just want to go fast or go track there car. im still a huge fan of the foreplay associated with lag, but sometimes i just want to be in "it" with no foreplay.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)