BMW Werkz banner

Sunroof Not Opening. Help

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  93 325i 
#1 ·
I have a 92 325i and the sunroof has recently quit working. It sounds like its trying to open but just makes a loud grinding sound. The motor seems to work but it just wont open. Is this just a gear that needs to be replaced? Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Im haveing trouble with my sunroof also. There sound like some shit clunking around up there when i go over bump. It opens all the way back with no problems and closes. But when i try to crack it open so the back end comes up(by pressing switch forward after it has closed), then inside cover only comes back a little less then half way. When you look at the roof the back end is up a little bit but just enough to mack a wisthel when driveing down the road but its far from fully open.

#4 ·
Check your owners manual. You can remove the cover to the interior light and use an allen wrench from your trunk tool kit to manually open and close the roof so you can see what's going on with it. It says to disconnect the plug connected to the motor to make it easier to turn...Best if you can read the instruction yourself from your owners manual which shows what the heck I'm talking about :blink:

#6 ·
Originally posted by aheath@Mar 23 2005, 12:13 PM
First I would check is the lubrication.
[snapback]317118[/snapback]​

i thought the sun roof is ment to do this when u lift it, mine only goes a little less than half way too, is it not ment to do this??? the cover doesnt fully open? or is it just another thing i have 2 fix in my e36 grrrr it works fine when opening it normaly...

#7 ·
e36's made after 1/96 have a timer in the sunroof...won't open during winter, and if the groundhog sees his shadow, won't open during the first two weeks of spring. Be patient, should open any day now. :naughty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.