BMW Werkz banner

Sunroof Noises Caused By Vibration.

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  victorgallas 
#1 ·
Hey on my 93 325i, ive been having an anoying rattling noise on my head, it seems as if there is a tiny plastic touching other stuff and making noises when going on the road that produces some vibration.. You know regular driving there are always some small road inperfections... I did not go off-road, so im not talking huge bumpiness...

anyway....

My sunroof was doing the noise all the time, so after reader on the net and looking n the BMW ETK software, i found that they had trouble with this and their fix was to put a little welf adesive square foam underneat the air spolier, you know that metal part that lifts up to direct the wind upwards.

This greatly reduced the noise, and so most of the time everything seems alright, but then when driving trought some road inperfections, there is a small rattlign noise comming from the rear part of the sunroof, right on top o fmy head. the end part of the opening..

When i got the car a year ago i took the sunroof cassete out of the car and took apart all pieces. then i cleaned and rebuilt the cassete, so i have all parts new, sliders, cables and all the little things that get worng out.. the only original thing left was the sunroof cassete structire, this is where all the parts go onto, then the interior lining, the carpet part you see inside and the exterior part. but for both of the sliding pieces, they have brand new sliders..

when i reassembled the unit i made sure the whole track was well lubricated and everything slided good, and it does.. I have not problems of it getting stuck, slow anything, it slides back and fort like new. Also there is a precedure when doing this job to the lifters, the part that lower of raise the rear part of the sunroof, to get them properly set on the rest position, and i got it all right, i used BMW TIS information. As a whole o have no operational issues with the sunroof, it all works nice.

But it does this anoying noise and is bugging me.

A little note on this. When i took the thing apart. The metal part, the one that goes on the exterior, has plastic cover on the inside glued to it, this part was loose so i used a 3m High Adesive glue to put it back together, it worked on summer when it was hot, then winter came, the glue suck at cold temperatures, so its loose. but only on the sides, very litle., so i dont know if this could be it..

Also, is there a fix for the anoying B Pillar creaks that you keep hearing everytime there are vibrations form the road.. I already replaced the pillar covers, they where broken and scrached. so have brand new ones.. I've read e36 are very stiff, and the early cars had rubber door seals that where too high, make a lot of friction.. I tried silicone, no much luck...

can something be done to the rear of the trim to reduce noise??? and also to reduce the interior creaks and noises that the car does after 122k...

And the last thing here... DOES ANY GEARHEAD OUT THERE KNOWS IF ITS OK TO REPLACE THE STOCK M50 TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER WITH A S50/S52 TENSIONER... PLEASE I HAVE THE PART SITTING IN FRONT OF ME, BEGGING TO BE USED AND I NEED TO KNOW IF THIS MOD CAN HARM SOMETHING...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.