sunroof conversion - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:02 AM
The Messican

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
(Thread Starter)
sunroof conversion

hey evryone, as u all know i might be getting a 95 325i soon, it has a moonroof like most? all? e36's, is there a way to get a sunroof in there? so that i can just pull back the cover to let light in or whatever without actually opening it and letting air in? could i just get a glass cut the same size and stuff as the panel it has right now???

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:08 AM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
i thought a sunroof was one that opened completely and a moonroof was the one that had the glass layer that could let light in and not air.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:09 AM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
anyway that seems like a big project but who knows
#4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 03:03 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
i thought a sunroof was one that opened completely and a moonroof was the one that had the glass layer that could let light in and not air.
ive always thought it was the other way around

#5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 03:05 AM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
ok, then maybe i was wrong, turns out moonroof is the one with the window, well anyways, i want a window on the top of the car, not a painted panel

1 entry found for moonroof.
Main Entry: moonroof
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: a permanent window on the roof of a vehicle

2 entries found for sunroof.
sun·roof ( P ) Pronunciation Key (snrf, -rf)
n.
A roof on a motor vehicle, such as an automobile, having a panel that can be slid back or raised

#6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you can retrofit a later model moonroof. Maybe someone here knows more about it. Probably expensive, though.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 AM
vwk
1st Gear Member

vwk is an unknown quantity at this point
The only 3-series bmw that was delivered with a "moonroof" is the E46, but thats a moonsunroof lol

I don't know were the company is from, but all BMW sunroofs are from Webasto.

Maybe they can retrofit a glass panel. Second option is that you get the panel out and have a glasscompany make the same size and thickness to fit is. Make them get the same holes and voila, you can swap it.

Euro E36 M3 3.2 Rebuild Project

27 years
#8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
only been done once, the company who made the moonroofs for e36 went outa business long time ago, this one guy in malaysia made them, but he dissapeared too...moonroof in a e36...forget about it...

#9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 04:11 PM
vwk
1st Gear Member

vwk is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm still voting for Webasto.. or CarGlass

Euro E36 M3 3.2 Rebuild Project

27 years
#10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 04:39 PM
LYFE SUCK5

you could prob get someone to custom make it for you but big bucks
#11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 05:11 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwk
The only 3-series bmw that was delivered with a "moonroof" is the E46, but thats a moonsunroof lol

I don't know were the company is from, but all BMW sunroofs are from Webasto.

Maybe they can retrofit a glass panel. Second option is that you get the panel out and have a glasscompany make the same size and thickness to fit is. Make them get the same holes and voila, you can swap it.

yea i was thinking of that, just having someone makea glass with the same dimensions, im guessing it would be kinda expensive to it here in the states, but what a nice thing to live only 10 minutes from mexico, cheap good quality products

#12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM
General Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwk
I'm still voting for Webasto.. or CarGlass
webasto doesnt make it anymore, at least not that i know of...bimmerforums has been looking for these for years with no luck

#13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:45 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedInfusion
webasto doesnt make it anymore, at least not that i know of...bimmerforums has been looking for these for years with no luck

i might go into mexico during the week and see if i can get sum prices, if i find someone that can do a good job and not too expensive, ill let u guys know, sii if anyones interested

#14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:20 PM
General Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelACA
i might go into mexico during the week and see if i can get sum prices, if i find someone that can do a good job and not too expensive, ill let u guys know, sii if anyones interested
ud own the market...keep us informed

#15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 01:47 AM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedInfusion
ud own the market...keep us informed

cool, will do, what would be a good price for that kind of job, assuming its plug and play, just swapping out the panel and replacing it with the glass? more or less so i know what to expect and can work out a deal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)