BMW Werkz banner

Sudden, total loss of compression

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dutchbmw 
#1 ·
Hi Guys. It's been so long since I was here that I forgot my dang id ! Had to register a new one... LOL

Anyway, don't know why I'm laughing, 'cos I'm crying inside.....

Went to the 2.5ic today to drop my son at the airport. I turnthe key and it like fires once before dying. Weird, always always starts first turn. So second turn of the key... No compression !! whine whine whine. :blink:

Oh man, I don't need this. We are supposed to be flying to the States next weekend, I don't have much time or money to address this :nope

The belts are turning, so the crank's rotating. And there was no mechanical noise before, during or after the failure.

I'm thinking that the timing chain has bust [?]. Or is there maybe a de-compressor on this motor which could be stuck open ?

I sure hope somebody can help me, I'm starting to lose it here :nope

EDIT

Just thought of another question. Is this motor "safe" with respect to the valve/piston clearence ? (Fingers crossed here)

See less See more
#2 ·
OMG, I am so relieved. I got it started !

Talking to a mechanic friend of a friend just about 5 minutes ago who said he'd seen this happen with 16v Mondeo's and Vectra's on occasion.

He said that sometimes, if the car has been used on a short trip and then left for a spell the hydraulic lifters can drain and stick in position. When you then spin the motor over, the valves can be left extended producing the no-compression scenario. He said that after wasting time by stripping two motors with similar symptoms, he now drags them down the road at 40mph in third which basically frees them off. Sounds pretty basic and I wasn't about to do that without first checking that the cams were at least rotating.

This sounded familiar as the last time I drove the car was 10 days ago when all I did was move it from one side of the garage to the other.

Anyway, I went down to the car with the intention of checking the cam rotation. While I had my missus craning her neck to see inside the cam cover as I turned the motor over ( Hey, I'M not getting dirty! ), I felt the motor make the tiniest of efforts to fire on probably one pot only.

Never one to give up early, I cranked that S.O.B for all it was worth. Gradually she started to pick up more and more until I had 2 pots making power, then 3, 4, 5 and YES 6 !!!!!!!

Oh Baby, I don't have to tell you guys how good that felt !!!!!

#3 ·
I find it rather odd, that while vanilla posts like "do you like my new rear light cluster" etc etc would elicit vast responses and replies, but this, a serious post which could/would have cost/saved people potentially hundreds of dollars manages to escape with zero interest.

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie to this forum and hence have no place asking for or offering advice ?

#4 ·
Well I'm glad you got it running Marcus.... I'm not here too often to check he message board. I have never heard of that symptom, I've left my car sitting in the garage or driveway for weeks at a time and never had that problem... could it be the kind of oil you are using????

-Al.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.