stupid CEL - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 AM
The Messican

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
(Thread Starter)
stupid CEL

ok, so im doing some light spirited driving, i shift into 3rd. it shift it real smoothly, and as soon as i shift my check engine light came on! nothing else happened, i didnt feel any loss in power or any weird smells or anything, only thing i noticed is that when i was coming to a stop light and i down shifted, i heard a thumping in the back...i heard it in every gear as i was at a stop and abit when i was driving, but didnt hear anymore, i know this isnt much info, but any ideas what it could be...?

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:52 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Well, what code did you get? (I am assuming you went and got the codes read before you started this thread)

I highly doubt the CEL has anything to do with you shifting into third. That was mere coincidence. The thumping in the back is probably related to worn transmission mounts or something like that -- very unlikely to be related to the CEL.

Your car is OBDI -- just pull the code with the gas pedal trick and let us know what you get.

The CEL can be triggered by any of sevral things. Very often it is an oxygen sensor going bad, or sometimes even the catalytic converter. It is entirely possible to have codes for these things and notice no loss of power.

Come back with the codes. We'll take it from there.

#3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 03:02 PM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
actually i wasnt able to pulle the code yet, this happened last nigth at like one in the morning, but ill get right on that, thanx

#4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:54 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
ok, so its knock sensors 1 and 2 and my o2 sensor, i start school tomorrow, how important is it two fix these things? and is it an easy DIY my mechanic wants $80 for labor to replace the knock sensors

#5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
i had my mechanic clear the CEL see if it came back, but so far it hasnt today, i start school tomorrow so if you guys feel its critical that i fix these sensors ASAP please let me know...thanks

#6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
To be honest, I don't know much about the knock sensor installation. I think it is pretty iimportant to have those working, but be sure to get a second opinion. Sometimes the CEL doesn't come back, so wait and see what happens.

Good luck with the car and with school.

#7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:07 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
thanks, so far the light hasnt come back on, btu for almost $100 each sensor, i think ill wait for a bit...anyone else wanna chime in on the subject?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)