Strange Things Are Happening - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
gman is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange things have been going on with my 98 328i (120000km) The gas and temp. gages are wack, the gas gage shoots from empty to full to middle as I drive and the temp gage just doesn't move at all. Also if I forget the lights on or the keys in, the buzzer doesn't work when I open the driver side door. I've also been having an issue with the left brake light and just yesterday all of the brake lights went dead "brake light circit" message on the OBC.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
aheath is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aheath
brake light circuit is a warning that the relay that controls your brake lights/cruise control is about to go out. I don't have a DIY, but I do know that it's a faily easy job (15-30 mins).

I'm not sure about the rest of the problems you're experiencing, sorry to hear that.
aheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
the buzzer you speak of is located in teh kickpannel of the driverside, pop that out and just see if its connected properly still there are two plugs one furthest away from the driver is black the closest one (shorter) is white.

gas gauge failure is not very common but does happen , however for various reasons, first one it could be the sensor has gone, or the actual gauge itself has gone, get a pro to look at that so your not pulling your hair out trying to figure that one out.

the taillight failure is gonna be one of three things (usually) either the bulb is burnt out, there is a short in the tailights or miss-connection or as stated above me the relay is starting to go.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
nathan56989 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not trying to start any argument but i'm sure that there is no light relay. the lights are controlled by the light control module. can't remember for the life of me where it is though. correct me if i'm wrong about the relay becasue i don't work on many e36's
nathan56989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
'92 325i Alpine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gman@Aug 4 2005, 09:28 AM
Strange things have been going on with my 98 328i (120000km) The gas and temp. gages are wack, the gas gage shoots from empty to full to middle as I drive and the temp gage just doesn't move at all. Also if I forget the lights on or the keys in, the buzzer doesn't work when I open the driver side door. I've also been having an issue with the left brake light and just yesterday all of the brake lights went dead "brake light circit" message on the OBC.
[snapback]367313[/snapback]
I had some wierd electrical problems and light/locking problems and the brake light circuit message on the OBC. I was starting to get scared then I read that the wiring in the trunk can sometimes cause this sort of thing to happen. I looked on the left hand side where the wiring comes from the car to the trunk lid, and sure enough it was cracked. I got a razor blade (disconnect the battery with the vehicle off just in case) and sliced it open and spliced all the wires back together, some were bare, some were broken and touching. Voila, all the issues went away. You might check it if you haven't.
'92 325i Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)