BMW Werkz banner

Strange Sound With Car In Drive Foot On Break

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Delmarco 
#1 ·
I have this strange problem, where when I put my car in drive and my foot on the break there is this strange what sounds like to me is a rattle under the hood. It seems to get louder when the AC is on, but there is nothing when I'm doing any normal sort of driving only when the car is in park and my foot on the break, nothing even really during regular idle.

I took it to several mechanics none of you can pinpoint what the problem is, 1st it was thought to be the water pump, so i had it changed but again the same problem, 2nd time it was thought to be a AC hose rattling against the compressor so i had it changed again same problem, 3rd thing I was told was it to be the Alternator belts and bearings.

To me it makes sense since it seems to be louder when I AC is on its drawing from the motor causing some strain. But I'm not ready to commit anymore money untill I'm absolutley sure this is it.

Have any of you encountered and similar such problems and feedback would be really appreciated, also can you recommend a oil additive for noisy lifters.

Thanks Again

#2 ·
Originally posted by Impostor@Mar 6 2005, 11:11 PM

To me it makes sense since it seems to be louder when I AC is on its drawing from the motor causing some strain. But I'm not ready to commit anymore money untill I'm absolutley sure this is it.

[snapback]305387[/snapback]​

i think its just beause the motor is working harder to pump out cold air...

i guess it it bothers u that much then i guess u can get a new ac unit, which would prolly be pointless

#3 ·
I had something similar awhile back when I was driving on some of the coldest days here in New York...it was like between 0 and 12 degrees and there was this click click click rattle, click click click rattle...sound everytime I stepped on the gas when the heat was on high....since the weather got warmer...the sound went away...but a few nights ago it was cold again , like 20 degrees, and i was driving with the heat on full blast and the sound was there....

i'm thinking it has to do with me acelerating whiles the engine is cold and the vents are trying to blow hot air into the cabin...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.