Strange Sound With Car In Drive Foot On Break - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Impostor is an unknown quantity at this point
I have this strange problem, where when I put my car in drive and my foot on the break there is this strange what sounds like to me is a rattle under the hood. It seems to get louder when the AC is on, but there is nothing when I'm doing any normal sort of driving only when the car is in park and my foot on the break, nothing even really during regular idle.

I took it to several mechanics none of you can pinpoint what the problem is, 1st it was thought to be the water pump, so i had it changed but again the same problem, 2nd time it was thought to be a AC hose rattling against the compressor so i had it changed again same problem, 3rd thing I was told was it to be the Alternator belts and bearings.

To me it makes sense since it seems to be louder when I AC is on its drawing from the motor causing some strain. But I'm not ready to commit anymore money untill I'm absolutley sure this is it.

Have any of you encountered and similar such problems and feedback would be really appreciated, also can you recommend a oil additive for noisy lifters.

Thanks Again
Impostor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
Quote:
Originally posted by Impostor@Mar 6 2005, 11:11 PM

To me it makes sense since it seems to be louder when I AC is on its drawing from the motor causing some strain. But I'm not ready to commit anymore money untill I'm absolutley sure this is it.

[snapback]305387[/snapback]

i think its just beause the motor is working harder to pump out cold air...

i guess it it bothers u that much then i guess u can get a new ac unit, which would prolly be pointless

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I had something similar awhile back when I was driving on some of the coldest days here in New York...it was like between 0 and 12 degrees and there was this click click click rattle, click click click rattle...sound everytime I stepped on the gas when the heat was on high....since the weather got warmer...the sound went away...but a few nights ago it was cold again , like 20 degrees, and i was driving with the heat on full blast and the sound was there....

i'm thinking it has to do with me acelerating whiles the engine is cold and the vents are trying to blow hot air into the cabin...
Old 03-07-2005, 01:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
LIV2BMP is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello,
I too have the same type of issue, though mine sounds more like under the car from the driver seat, though the mechanics have not found what it is.

Wish I could help with some advice, but I am only left to share.
Tino
LIV2BMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I'm sure it's prolly nothing....

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)