BMW Werkz banner

Strange Rattling Noise In Front

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Q_BMW 
#1 ·
:help
I recently developed a rattling noise that appears to be coming from the
left wheel area. Its kind of high pitched rattle that I hear every time I go over
any type of imperfection in the road. I just replaced both front lower ball joints
and put on new tires. Any ideas might be lose?

Thanks! KJC

#2 ·
when i start the car there is a rattle seems like exhaust? but as soon as i am travelling more them 5mph its gone. Only at idling/VERY SLOW SLOW speed in 1st gear. Any tests/symptons people can advise me so i can pin point the EXACT cause?

thanks my friends :cheers

#3 ·
Cannon - it could be the brake pads are shaking around in the calipers - if the clips onthe calipers are worn or broken you will get a very metallic rattling noise especially over high impact type bumps - I had this problem and my mechanic sorted it by removing the pads and making them slightly longer and better fitting by smashing them with a copper hammer

Hope this helps

J...

#5 ·
Originally posted by BLACKBMW@Sep 23 2004, 09:00 AM
Cannon - it could be the brake pads are shaking around in the calipers - if the clips onthe calipers are worn or broken you will get a very metallic rattling noise especially over high impact type bumps - I had this problem and my mechanic sorted it by removing the pads and making them slightly longer and better fitting by smashing them with a copper hammer

Hope this helps

J...
[snapback]197482[/snapback]​

I think you are right about the noise. Is this something I can do pretty
easily myself? Or am I better to have an expert try it?

#6 ·
Originally posted by Cannon00000+Sep 24 2004, 06:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cannon00000 @ Sep 24 2004, 06:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BLACKBMW@Sep 23 2004, 09:00 AM

Hope this helps

J...
[snapback]197482[/snapback]​

I think you are right about the noise. Is this something I can do pretty
easily myself? Or am I better to have an expert try it?
[snapback]198470[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I am pretty convinced that smashing anything with a hammer is do-able by anyone!

Removing the brake pads is fairly str8 forward - there are many posts on here if you are unsure

Then all you need do is see if they wiggle about in the calipers - if there is any movement they will rattle BADLY when you go over a bump

If you are unsure - remove the wheel and tap carefully with a hammer around the pads, arms etc to see if you can re-create the rattle you have described

If you do make the pads slightly better fitting make sure they dont just wedge in hard - you will only need to make them a millimetre longer so dont go mad with the hammer smashing

J....

#7 ·
cannon- i had kinda the same problem , but for me it was the mud flap that broke in front of the wheel and hence made the noise.

mstar- check your heatshield for ur cat, just got mine welded back on and mine made the sound at idle too!!!

:cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.