Strange Noise... Help!... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
M3wannabe2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Guys, I own a '92 325i , all is fine apart from one puzzling noise. It seems to be creaking noise that only occurs when the car is first fired up. With the car in gear and pulling away the car will make a creaking sound, it comes from the rear of the car, it will only do this once , you will not hear a peep from it for the rest of the journey until you switch the engine off and back on again. I have isolated the brakes, tested by parking the car up with the handbrake off, it seems strange that the noise only happens when 1) The car is started (no matter if the car has been running 2 hours, if you swithed the car off and on the noise would occurs) 2) The car has travelled approc 5-10 metres in 1st or 2nd gear. Any pointers on this would be great.

Thanks Guys
M3wannabe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
hmmm... I'll bump this and ask a question, is the creaking sound coming from the middle left or right side of the back?
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by thekid@Jun 15 2005, 10:33 PM
hmmm... I'll bump this and ask a question, is the creaking sound coming from the middle left or right side of the back?
[snapback]353973[/snapback]
Hi Mate,

It sounds like it's coming from the left side..

Any Ideas?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gear Member

Car: 2012 328i
Photos:
BeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond reputeBeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by M3wannabe2004@Jun 15 2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Guys, I own a '92 325i , all is fine apart from one puzzling noise. It seems to be creaking noise that only occurs when the car is first fired up. With the car in gear and pulling away the car will make a creaking sound, it comes from the rear of the car, it will only do this once , you will not hear a peep from it for the rest of the journey until you switch the engine off and back on again. I have isolated the brakes, tested by parking the car up with the handbrake off, it seems strange that the noise only happens when 1) The car is started (no matter if the car has been running 2 hours, if you swithed the car off and on the noise would occurs) 2) The car has travelled approc 5-10 metres in 1st or 2nd gear. Any pointers on this would be great.

Thanks Guys
[snapback]353765[/snapback]

Well, what's more unusual is that you don't hear a peep other than that creaking noise.

It's a big ol' machine... I'd bet it's totally normal. Still, it could be ANYTHING.
BeachBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
well sh*t... I just realized that was a dump question... let me rephrase... Drivers side, middle or passneger side... and is it left or right hand drive... Now we will know which side we are reffering to.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by thekid@Jun 16 2005, 10:21 AM
well sh*t... I just realized that was a dump question... let me rephrase... Drivers side, middle or passneger side... and is it left or right hand drive... Now we will know which side we are reffering to.
[snapback]354122[/snapback]
Right, took the car to the BMW garage, they knew what it was straight away, it's the ABS doing a self check at 5mph! this explains why it only happens when the engine it switched on, and when you switch the engine off and back on!. So for any of you that may be having the same problem that is what it is! the ABS!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
pcy
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
pcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you saying that the ABS pump is [making that noise] going through a self-test ? Did the dealer tell you that it is "normal" noise or that the pump is slowly going bad?
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)