Strange Noise... Help!... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 PM
n00b
 
M3wannabe2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M3wannabe2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi Guys, I own a '92 325i , all is fine apart from one puzzling noise. It seems to be creaking noise that only occurs when the car is first fired up. With the car in gear and pulling away the car will make a creaking sound, it comes from the rear of the car, it will only do this once , you will not hear a peep from it for the rest of the journey until you switch the engine off and back on again. I have isolated the brakes, tested by parking the car up with the handbrake off, it seems strange that the noise only happens when 1) The car is started (no matter if the car has been running 2 hours, if you swithed the car off and on the noise would occurs) 2) The car has travelled approc 5-10 metres in 1st or 2nd gear. Any pointers on this would be great.

Thanks Guys
M3wannabe2004 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:33 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
thekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Jackson MS
Posts: 3,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm... I'll bump this and ask a question, is the creaking sound coming from the middle left or right side of the back?
thekid is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:45 AM
n00b
 
M3wannabe2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M3wannabe2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by thekid@Jun 15 2005, 10:33 PM
hmmm... I'll bump this and ask a question, is the creaking sound coming from the middle left or right side of the back?
[snapback]353973[/snapback]
Hi Mate,

It sounds like it's coming from the left side..

Any Ideas?
M3wannabe2004 is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 03:53 AM
Gear Member
 
BeachBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by M3wannabe2004@Jun 15 2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Guys, I own a '92 325i , all is fine apart from one puzzling noise. It seems to be creaking noise that only occurs when the car is first fired up. With the car in gear and pulling away the car will make a creaking sound, it comes from the rear of the car, it will only do this once , you will not hear a peep from it for the rest of the journey until you switch the engine off and back on again. I have isolated the brakes, tested by parking the car up with the handbrake off, it seems strange that the noise only happens when 1) The car is started (no matter if the car has been running 2 hours, if you swithed the car off and on the noise would occurs) 2) The car has travelled approc 5-10 metres in 1st or 2nd gear. Any pointers on this would be great.

Thanks Guys
[snapback]353765[/snapback]

Well, what's more unusual is that you don't hear a peep other than that creaking noise.

It's a big ol' machine... I'd bet it's totally normal. Still, it could be ANYTHING.
BeachBunny is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:21 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
thekid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Jackson MS
Posts: 3,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
well sh*t... I just realized that was a dump question... let me rephrase... Drivers side, middle or passneger side... and is it left or right hand drive... Now we will know which side we are reffering to.
thekid is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 01:49 PM
n00b
 
M3wannabe2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M3wannabe2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by thekid@Jun 16 2005, 10:21 AM
well sh*t... I just realized that was a dump question... let me rephrase... Drivers side, middle or passneger side... and is it left or right hand drive... Now we will know which side we are reffering to.
[snapback]354122[/snapback]
Right, took the car to the BMW garage, they knew what it was straight away, it's the ABS doing a self check at 5mph! this explains why it only happens when the engine it switched on, and when you switch the engine off and back on!. So for any of you that may be having the same problem that is what it is! the ABS!
M3wannabe2004 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:23 AM
pcy
Neutral Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you saying that the ABS pump is [making that noise] going through a self-test ? Did the dealer tell you that it is "normal" noise or that the pump is slowly going bad?
pcy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange Noise RedlinedRU 3-Series (E36) 11 12-15-2005 12:46 PM
Strange Noise 99bmw 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 1 06-25-2005 12:22 AM
Help !! E46 328i Strange Noise !!!! MohanUK 3-Series (E46, E90) 2 10-14-2004 03:27 PM
Strange Noise 93 325i 3-Series (E36) 4 10-11-2004 11:31 AM
Strange Rear Wheel Noise? Clint_M 3-Series (E36) 1 10-04-2004 06:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome