strange brake pad wear... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
strange brake pad wear...

So i knew something was up with my front right brake, and basically just continued to drive on it hoping the squealing would go away and such. Pulled the pads today and for some reason it looks like they were only wearing on the ends of the pads and nothing else??? it's really strange i think and am not sure how to fix this? Was wondering if you all have ever seen this before, and if you had any ideas on how to fix it. Btw I for some reason have not much experience with brakes so for all i know this could be normal? it just looks like it isnt from what i do know about them.

saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
you mean the outer courners if so the pad come like that see:
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven View Post
you mean the outer courners if so the pad come like that see:
Did you even see his pictures?

Salt, that certainly looks weird. How do your guide pins look? Are they rubber? Maybe it would help to change those.

When did you install the pads? Maybe they didn't sit well.

Perhaps your piston is seized, as in not pushing out anymore

It just looks like the pads have some sort of wiggle room instead of being tightly pressed against the rotor (or perhaps even the caliper).

I guess these are just some random ideas. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
sry I didnt notice they weren't level I thought he just ment the beveled ends.... the piston might have gotten jammed in the bore at an angle... and wore it at an angle....
I am Captain Obvious
Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
the wierd thing is, it is at both ends of the pads... so it wasnt like it was just one way it wore... it must have been wearing everytime i went in reverse also... I'm not really sure... i put the pads back on tonight because i needed the car, and everything seems sound now? no squeeking, brake works better then ive ever felt it... idk.. pretty strange, maybe the people who originally put it in are complete idiots?? not sure...
Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
you may have just had a bubble in your lines. i have seen it happen on a mercedes. I bled the lines and the next week she cam eback with similar problems, i bled them again and al was well. I think pushing the piston back kicked the air bubble out of your lines and everything went back to good.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Salt salt salt.... Buddy... those are anti chatter chamfers... the brake pads come new with beveled ends. There is nothing wrong with your brakes... go to the parts store... get some silicon anti squeal to put on the back of the pads... let cure... reassemble... ride on squeal free!
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTE30 View Post
Salt salt salt.... Buddy... those are anti chatter chamfers... the brake pads come new with beveled ends. There is nothing wrong with your brakes... go to the parts store... get some silicon anti squeal to put on the back of the pads... let cure... reassemble... ride on squeal free!
ehh idk... they looked nearly worn off or chunked off more then anything... deffinently not a factory job.

ps. was in etown yesterday, how far off exit 94 are you?
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185 View Post
the wierd thing is, it is at both ends of the pads... so it wasnt like it was just one way it wore... it must have been wearing everytime i went in reverse also... I'm not really sure... i put the pads back on tonight because i needed the car, and everything seems sound now? no squeeking, brake works better then ive ever felt it... idk.. pretty strange, maybe the people who originally put it in are complete idiots?? not sure...
wait.... are you talking about the ends? where they taper down at the the 2 ends of the pads? if so i wasnt mistaken.... the pads do look like there not level though....
I am Captain Obvious
Old 03-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Thx for the über high-res pics, Nick. Now I can has ur thumbprint
Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Thx for the über high-res pics, Nick. Now I can has ur thumbprint
haha yea i thought imageshack was going to resize them for me? then i posted them and was like WOAH! but didnt get a chance to make them smaller... oh well...
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Salt... Unless there's something in those pics I'm not seeing, those be very normally wearing pads... I don't see anything out of the ordinary on those... of corse those aren't exactly great pics... dark background doesn't offer any contrast. As to where I live... I am kinda across town from exit 94... if you take exit 91 and go to the bypass... then go down to the first light and take a right... then go to the stop sign and take a left, I'm the third house on the left, little blue house. You should stop by some time man!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
heh i'll let you know when im in the area...
Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Cool

Salt... email me for phone # and we'll hang out some time... I actually work in Da Ville. fastenalebay@yahoo.com
Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
where do you work? email sent...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)