BMW Werkz banner

strange brake pad wear...

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  theruss1an1 
#1 ·
So i knew something was up with my front right brake, and basically just continued to drive on it hoping the squealing would go away and such. Pulled the pads today and for some reason it looks like they were only wearing on the ends of the pads and nothing else??? it's really strange i think and am not sure how to fix this? Was wondering if you all have ever seen this before, and if you had any ideas on how to fix it. Btw I for some reason have not much experience with brakes so for all i know this could be normal? it just looks like it isnt from what i do know about them.

See less See more
#2 ·
you mean the outer courners if so the pad come like that see:

#3 ·
you mean the outer courners if so the pad come like that see:
Did you even see his pictures?:thud

Salt, that certainly looks weird. How do your guide pins look? Are they rubber? Maybe it would help to change those.

When did you install the pads? Maybe they didn't sit well.

Perhaps your piston is seized, as in not pushing out anymore :dunno

It just looks like the pads have some sort of wiggle room instead of being tightly pressed against the rotor (or perhaps even the caliper).

I guess these are just some random ideas. Good luck getting it fixed.

#4 ·
sry I didnt notice they weren't level I thought he just ment the beveled ends.... the piston might have gotten jammed in the bore at an angle... and wore it at an angle....

#5 ·
the wierd thing is, it is at both ends of the pads... so it wasnt like it was just one way it wore... it must have been wearing everytime i went in reverse also... I'm not really sure... i put the pads back on tonight because i needed the car, and everything seems sound now? no squeeking, brake works better then ive ever felt it... idk.. pretty strange, maybe the people who originally put it in are complete idiots?? not sure...

#9 ·
wait.... are you talking about the ends? where they taper down at the the 2 ends of the pads? if so i wasnt mistaken.... the pads do look like there not level though....

#6 ·
you may have just had a bubble in your lines. i have seen it happen on a mercedes. I bled the lines and the next week she cam eback with similar problems, i bled them again and al was well. I think pushing the piston back kicked the air bubble out of your lines and everything went back to good.

#7 ·
Salt salt salt.... Buddy... those are anti chatter chamfers... the brake pads come new with beveled ends. There is nothing wrong with your brakes... go to the parts store... get some silicon anti squeal to put on the back of the pads... let cure... reassemble... ride on squeal free!:rofl

#12 ·
Salt... Unless there's something in those pics I'm not seeing, those be very normally wearing pads... I don't see anything out of the ordinary on those... of corse those aren't exactly great pics... dark background doesn't offer any contrast. As to where I live... I am kinda across town from exit 94... if you take exit 91 and go to the bypass... then go down to the first light and take a right... then go to the stop sign and take a left, I'm the third house on the left, little blue house. You should stop by some time man!

#16 ·
Your pad wear is perfect. Just about all the pads I've seen have a taper of some kind on the outside. It is impossible for the pad to wear just on the outside. The reason your brakes made noise is because they are dirty. Clean off the edges of the pads where they slide on the caliper carrier. Clean up the carrier as well. A little wire brush works perfect. Next get some anti seez and make sure you put some on the edges of the pads where they slide on the carrier. Do you know the brand of the rotors and pads? Cheap pads and rotors will also cause noise.

-Serge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.