stock, want something - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2004, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
brien4787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brien4787
i have my 318i that is bone stock.

i was thinking about getting something for my car at the end of this school year.

i am not too sure what i want though...maybe you guys can help.

exhaust is out of the question because i dont want to spend 700 dollars. my max i want to spend will probably be a few hundred dollars.

i was thinking about getting an intake. i know it really wont add much power, but it will still be awesome. what do you guys think about intake? i am mechanically retarded, so i cant make one for myself. what one would you recommend i get and where from?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i just found this intake system and filter...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33659

is that something that looks decent for me? (if intake is what i will get)
------------------------------------
also, what is this heatsheilding stuff i have been reading about?
-----------------------------------------------
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
exhaust = $700
thats a good chouce

it will give you a little more power, but it makes a sweet sound too
Old 05-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by CiscoKid@May 17 2004, 06:03 PM
exhaust = $700
thats a good chouce

it will give you a little more power, but it makes a sweet sound too
i fixed my error. i ment that exhaust is out of the question becuase that is waay too much money. i rather have the rest to save for my college that i will have in a littl eover a year.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
camnipotent is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to camnipotent Send a message via MSN to camnipotent
I've heard of 15 HP increase with a CAI. If I had a few hundred bucks to spend, and only wanted to upgrade performance wise, CAI is the way I'd go.
2 12&quot; Rockford Fosgate Subs; Sealed
1.0 Farad Capacitor
800 Watt 2-Way Rockford Fosgate Amplifier</span></span>
camnipotent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
^up
Old 05-18-2004, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
I've always believed that you get the most bang for your buck with suspension mods. You could get sway bars/anti roll bars or $329. Don't waste money on the x-brace if thats all your gonna do....
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Chips are great. You can debaffle and use a green filter to acheive similar CAI gains from the stock box, and save the money for the latter. Chip will add another 10 HP.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PhunkDJti is an unknown quantity at this point
suspension is the way to go. get stiffer springs which will also lower the cars profile and a sway bar. (but u'd probably need someone to install the springs though). it makes cornering even more fun
PhunkDJti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@May 18 2004, 01:42 AM
Chips are great. You can debaffle and use a green filter to acheive similar CAI gains from the stock box, and save the money for the latter. Chip will add another 10 HP.
el pres, what is "debaffle and use a green filter"? will i get any horse power gains/ better miles per gallon? is there any risk in doing this? will i get an awesome sound, or will it just be preformence?

about the springs...
do you think i should get better springs and lower it if i have the rims that he has: http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/po...-1084666959.jpg . thats pretty much what my car looks like, except i took that poopy tint off and put better stuff on . mine was turning purple. my back sides are darker than that picture.
i was thinking about getting new wheels, but i dont want to lay down 1000 plus on wheels and tires. i just got new tires not too long ago.

also, will i have to also get new suspension? i read somewhere that stock suspension cant keep up for long...

also, will a sway bar be needed? i have taken my car around corners pretty quick. will my car really ever flip? im more afraid that my tires are going to come off the wheels :
Old 05-18-2004, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
camnipotent is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to camnipotent Send a message via MSN to camnipotent
The debaffle and air filter can give you around a 5 HP gain. It also sounds louder. Prez will be putting up a video sometime so we car hear his.

Those rims wouldn't harm anything with a lowering spring kit on. What type are you thinking about? It would definately help with handling. Also, your car won't flip. You'd have to be taking a corner at some ludicrous speed for something like that. I can't imagine.
2 12&quot; Rockford Fosgate Subs; Sealed
1.0 Farad Capacitor
800 Watt 2-Way Rockford Fosgate Amplifier</span></span>
camnipotent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by camnipotent@May 18 2004, 06:42 PM
The debaffle and air filter can give you around a 5 HP gain. It also sounds louder. Prez will be putting up a video sometime so we car hear his.

Those rims wouldn't harm anything with a lowering spring kit on. What type are you thinking about? It would definately help with handling. Also, your car won't flip. You'd have to be taking a corner at some ludicrous speed for something like that. I can't imagine.
im not too sure what to get for lowering my car.
i know that i will want to either debaffle or get intake.
as for lowering, i want something that is dependable and wont break down or anything. i saw some springs at bav. they have a set for 180, and a few for $2-300. will springs be the only thing i need to lower my car? i wont bottom out all the time if i lower my car 1-1 1/4 inch going over a speed bump will i? i already have to go realllly slow over big speed bumps because i think my springs suck or somthing.

i think im too afraid to debaffle because it seems so new and unknown. what should i get for intake? could you guys give me links or tell me all the things and what brands to look at? i dont really want to buy one of those 300 dollar intakes, but i would like something decent.

thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
the forum won't take my video, even though it has taken others I've made in the past. I'll use my archos and just get a sound clip to post tomorrow.

Green filters are high flow filters like K&N, but filter better. You get sound and performance. As for wheels, I suggest you look at ebay. I got my set with tires for 390 shipped off an e46. They're 15s so they might not be glamorous, but hey, my car originally came with HUBCAPS!

As for the stock suspension, it will usually last quite awhile unless you punish it. If you want to lower it, you will also need to replace the shocks, because the factory ones will blow out within a few months.

Sway bars are great, but you shouldn't need to upgrade. I've never heard of anyone rolling their e36 (due to a sway bar or otherwise).
Old 05-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i just talked to my mechanic about all this stuff.

he pretty much talked me out of getting an intake. he told me that most out their arnt that great. a lot of them pull in hot air, which is not going to help. he said that dian makes a pretty good one, but it will be about 3-400 bucks. he said that unless if i get a whole package of stuff, such as intake, chip, exhaust, ect., i will probably not feel much of a difference.
as for debaffle, he said that i probably wont be able to get my car smoged if its debaffled, but if i could get my hands on an other (air box i think he said) i could just switch taht in for getting smog checks. im forgot if he said anything negative about debaffling it, but whatever, i doubt ill do it.

as for lowering my car, he said that on a 318i, all you will need is springs. the shocks will do fine if you lower your car 1- 1 1/4 inch. any more than that, it may damage the suspension. he said that they can order springs, or i can bring my own in.
installation is way a lot of money though. he said it would cost me 400 bucks for labor. 600 bucks total(if i get the bavauto 180 dollar springs). thats quite a lot of money, i thought installation would be like 100 bucks.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
Debaffling is fully reversveable for inspections.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 00 Prelude, 95 525i, 85 635CSi
Photos:
d3ity will become famous soon enoughd3ity will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by brien4787@May 17 2004, 06:22 PM
i was thinking about getting an intake. i know it really wont add much power, but it will still be awesome. what do you guys think about intake? i am mechanically retarded, so i cant make one for myself. what one would you recommend i get and where from?
Dude, build your own, its not hard.

Just look around your engine compartment, find a nice cool place... and then figure out how to route your intake.

Check out the 5 series forum. Torque0 and I have been going on and on about intakes.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)