BMW Werkz banner

Stock CD changer

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Shudogg 
#1 ·
in my 318i i have the stock cd changer in the trunk and i was told that it will only work with the stock headunit. well i wanted a second opinion and i was looking throught the manual for the car the other day as saw that the cd changer is an alpine and i wanted to know if it would work with alpine headunits. also if anyone wants to buy a kenwood kdc-419 in new condition that doesnt work with stock cd changers tell me and we can work a deal ( i have pics)

is there any way to keep the changer but have an aftermarket deck? :wrench

#2 ·
That shouldn't be a problem. Most car audio companies will most likely have adapters for that kind of thing. If the changer is an Alpine, 99% sure an Alpine, or any other aftermarket deck for that matter, will be able to fit it just fine. Ask around at Circuit city, best buy, etc.

#3 ·
aight thanks, i tried and asked a local car audio store and they said something about FM modulation??

thx

#4 ·
FM stands for frequency modulation. I am not sure if that would really matter with a CD changer. Actually, that would only effect the radio, not the changer. They are seperate inputs.

#5 ·
Actually a RF modulation system is used when one wishes to add an aftermarket changer with an oem deck. Not the other way around (like you have)

And as far as using a blitzsafe adaptor to allow you to use your oem changer and an aftermarket deck, i seriously doubt you will find one of those.

If you want to use your oem changer, find an oem head unit (not desirable)

Your best plan would be to put the kenwood deck back in, and replace your oem changer with a Kenwood changer. There are many benefits to going this route.

Kenwood deck has a much better amp/output
Better Tuner
More equalization

BTW, i'm not one of those kids that knew a friend that was an installer or something, custom audio/video design is my life and vocation and has been for over a decade.

#6 ·
thanks alot guys i was planning on selling the oem changer on ebay and getting a new aftermarket one. thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.