BMW Werkz banner

stock 325i dyno results?

16K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  enemigo 
#1 ·
anybody dynoed stock 325? What were the results? My fried dynoed 325 coupe and found only 180 horses. Engine is really good, consumes no oil, no bad sounds, runs perfectly. After chip it showed 187HP. But with stock chip, without filter and cold air intake it pushed 192hp. What should he check in the engine?

#2 ·
Did he have a fan blowing in front of the car? Without that, the is NO air movement over the CAI, which will lower the dyno graph because it is not getting the same cold air it would as if the car was moving.

If it did, he bought crap.

#4 ·
Originally posted by komodo9@Aug 19 2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah, what kind of CAI was it? If there was a fan, and his car was chipped AND had a cai, but only gained 12hp... something's wrong. You should have gained around 12 from JUST the chip.
he gained 12hp with stock chip. without CAI it was 180hp, with CAI 192hp. With custom chip ant CAI - 187hp. There was a fan blowing air into car's front.

#10 ·
Originally posted by enemigo+Aug 19 2004, 09:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (enemigo @ Aug 19 2004, 09:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dutchbmw@Aug 19 2004, 12:39 PM
CAI or chip are not needed for 192 HP. An OEM 325i does 192 ponies.....
did you test your's? :) are you shure that all factory specified horses will be under your hood? [/b][/quote]
No, I'm not sure, but when they put that in brochures it looks to me it's true. :confused

#12 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Aug 19 2004, 03:44 PM
by which engine tuning company. Still smells fishy and like ebay crap.
maybe crap.. They produce chips reading eeprom, modifing it and making dyno runs to see changes. As they say making chip for the specific engine it's possible to gain more power than with universal chip from known chip manufacturers.

#13 ·
Originally posted by greennvmachine@Aug 19 2004, 03:51 PM
what they are saying is that a chip changes a lot stuff under your hood, a better quality namebrand chip might have a better effect on the car because it's tuned to the max. look up a conforti chip or somthing, there are dyno graphs all over the web.
are you shure that you will get exactly same power gain as in dinan or conforti advertisments on ANY engine? :) I don't believe it. Every old engine is unique.

#14 ·
Originally posted by dutchbmw+Aug 19 2004, 03:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dutchbmw @ Aug 19 2004, 03:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by enemigo@Aug 19 2004, 09:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-dutchbmw
@Aug 19 2004, 12:39 PM
CAI or chip are not needed for 192 HP. An OEM 325i does 192 ponies.....

did you test your's? :) are you shure that all factory specified horses will be under your hood?
No, I'm not sure, but when they put that in brochures it looks to me it's true. :confused [/b][/quote]
so dyno test your car :) Not many 13 years old cars have all horses in stable.

#15 ·
I don't know how BMW is, but I do know MANY car companies claim one thing, but usually actually fall short of that claim by about 10-15%

Also, many companies will claim the numbers at the Flywheel where as the dyno shows drive wheel power numbers...

#16 ·
I thought I read somewhere that if you add CAI onto a car that's chipped, you need to re-program the chip. If that's the case, then maybe the chip and the CAI were working against each other.

#17 ·
I dunno..... My car does 233 km/h (145mph) still after that 13 years and it's completely OEM! (see vid members.home.nl/pieter79 !) If I have the opportunity for a dyno I will do that!

BTW, in my car manual they say 233 km/h is the top speed of this car. I have tried it on a flat road under normal conditions (no wind).

#18 ·
Are you giving us numbers at the wheels? or estimated numbers for the flywheel.

180 is very good at the wheels and would be expected with a chip and a couple other things. 192 is pretty high.

I'm guessing these are calculated HP numbers with like a 15% drivtrain loss?

#19 ·
Originally posted by enemigo+Aug 19 2004, 03:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (enemigo @ Aug 19 2004, 03:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-greennvmachine@Aug 19 2004, 03:51 PM
what they are saying is that a chip changes a lot stuff under your hood, a better quality namebrand chip might have a better effect on the car because it's tuned to the max. look up a conforti chip or somthing, there are dyno graphs all over the web.
are you shure that you will get exactly same power gain as in dinan or conforti advertisments on ANY engine? :) I don't believe it. Every old engine is unique. [/b][/quote]
the major brands might make their chips for a newer vehicles, but producing the quantity that they do and with the tools im sure they have access to, why wouldn't they be better than a homegrown chip :idea2

#20 ·
Originally posted by Kevin325i@Aug 19 2004, 05:59 PM

180 is very good at the wheels and would be expected with a chip and a couple other things. 192 is pretty high.

Exactly..

You can only dyno at the crank using an engine dyno, which means you'd pretty much have to take the entire engine out of the engine bay inorder to do this. Otherwise, like everyone else I'm sure you were using a chassis dyno and the 180HP was at the wheels. That is very impressive indeed. You're already over stock power ratings.

Bry

#21 ·
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Aug 19 2004, 05:07 PM
I dunno..... My car does 233 km/h (145mph) still after that 13 years and it's completely OEM! (see vid members.home.nl/pieter79 !) If I have the opportunity for a dyno I will do that!

BTW, in my car manual they say 233 km/h is the top speed of this car. I have tried it on a flat road under normal conditions (no wind).
normal european 325i do 240kmph without problems and reach this speed quite fast. At 240 there is rev limiter, so 240 is the limit. My friends 325i which dynoed @ 180hp did 240 quite fast.

#22 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica+Aug 19 2004, 11:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Autotechnica @ Aug 19 2004, 11:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kevin325i@Aug 19 2004, 05:59 PM

Exactly..

You can only dyno at the crank using an engine dyno, which means you'd pretty much have to take the entire engine out of the engine bay inorder to do this. Otherwise, like everyone else I'm sure you were using a chassis dyno and the 180HP was at the wheels. That is very impressive indeed. You're already over stock power ratings.

Bry [/b][/quote]
noo, 180HP is not on wheels. It's calculated crank power. it's wheels HP + HP loss on the transmission.

#23 ·
Originally posted by enemigo+Aug 20 2004, 05:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (enemigo @ Aug 20 2004, 05:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Aug 19 2004, 11:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin325i
@Aug 19 2004, 05:59 PM

Exactly..

Bry
noo, 180HP is not on wheels. It's calculated crank power. it's wheels HP + HP loss on the transmission. [/b][/quote]
What was the result on the chassis dyno? How much power do you have at the wheels?

#24 ·
I'm confused. You say with it completely stock it created 180 ponies after a pass on the dyno. Then with a chip it produced 187. Then you say without the chip, or CAI (meaning completely stock) it made 192? So which is it 180 or 192? Or did you mean it did 180 with a CAI and without the chip.

Reading through this thread, I was thinking the same thing, RWHP. If your getting these numbers (assuming factory specs are at the flywheel, or corrected), your doing pretty good. But assuming you did have a fan, why would your numbers go backwards?

#26 ·
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Aug 19 2004, 05:07 PM

speedos are very inacurate over 70 MPH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.