STILL OVERHEATING - Please Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dnino10 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question STILL OVERHEATING - Please Help

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your help,
I own a 1992 325i, and here is my problem. 3 weeks ago the heating on my car would only work as long as I was driving it, however, once i stopped at a red light it would not blow any heat, until i would start moving again. I had the thermostat and water pump replaced yesterday and the problem now its that it overheats. Prior to that the car was not overheating. Please i could use some insight with this problem...I had the radiator flushed as well and nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I'd have a look at the clutch fan. That's how my E30 acted when that fan began to fail.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Did you bleed the air out of the system?

#4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 PM
n00b

dnino10 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Witeshrak - I will take a look at the fan clutch,
drz - Yes, I did bleed the air out - thanks as well.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
did you install the thermostat the right way, if you installed it backwards no coolant will flow through your engine, it will just keep circulating through the radiator, in turn causing the car to overheat.

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
A little hint.....usually you get this condition with a defective clutch fan.....engine overheats when the car is not moving.......because the clutch is not engaging the fan, thus no forced air.....when driving the engine is cooled through the movement of forced air. Also another way to check the clutch fan is to have someone start the car while you watch & listen to the fan......initially the fan will turn slower than the engine, then the clutch will engage and turn at the same speed as the engine, there also will be a change in sound.....

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Also Shahab is right....thermostat has to be installed with arrow or dot facing up.......
another tip......for checking if the coolant system is bled properly......you will have good heat.....
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...ing-61251.html

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 12-11-2008 at 11:24 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
A little hint.....usually you get this condition with a defective clutch fan.....engine overheats when the car is not moving.......because the clutch is not engaging the fan, thus no forced air.....when driving the engine is cooled through the movement of forced air. Also another way to check the clutch fan is to have someone start the car while you watch & listen to the fan......initially the fan will turn slower than the engine, then the clutch will engage and turn at the same speed as the engine, there also will be a change in sound.....

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Also Shahab is right....thermostat has to be installed with arrow or dot facing up.......
another tip......for checking if the coolant system is bled properly......you will have good heat.....
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...ing-61251.html
The engine driven fan not working isn't going to cause overheating, there's still the aux fan in front of the radiator that will push air through the radiator when the car is stopped.

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHAB323IS View Post
The engine driven fan not working isn't going to cause overheating, there's still the aux fan in front of the radiator that will push air through the radiator when the car is stopped.
An auxiliary fan is exactly what it is, an auxiliary & it runs off a high temp. temperature fan switch.....& will come on to aid the main engine driven fan during hotter conditions, such as when the a/c is on causing higher temps or when idling & there is no forced air other than the engine driven fan.
Case in point when doing the fan mod. it is recommended to install a low temp. temperature fan switch, so that the fan comes on more frequently. It is also recommended that you install a second electric fan to prevent overheating in hotter climates.....
this is why frontwheel drive transverse engines have 2 electric fans

u n d e r s t e e r . c o m

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 12-17-2008 at 12:25 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:33 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Quote:
Yeah, and obviously there is no way to mount an engine shaft driven fan on a transverse engine. All fans would have to be electric.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 AM
n00b

pyromaniac941 is on a distinguished road
ya the auxiliary fan was not made to do the entire motor cooling just to aid. i had the same problem on my 1993 325is. and yes the thermostat put in wrong could be a problem and an easy one to do, along with that on the water pump the fins have to be spinning the right way so if it was put in wrong then it would just be pulling the water/antifreeze back outa the motor. also is the radiator leaking? like your check coolant lite coming on? i would check all temp sensors and level sensors also. check your fan clutch, open your hood and spin your fan clutch just by hand it should spin freely but with some restraint like it should have pressure on it when you try to spin it you shouldnt be able to just spin it and will spin five to ten times with no friction
#11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Science Roolz!

Quote:
An auxiliary fan is exactly what it is, an auxiliary & it runs off a high temp. temperature fan switch.....& will come on to aid the main engine driven fan during hotter conditions, such as when the a/c is on causing higher temps or when idling & there is no forced air other than the engine driven fan.
Case in point when doing the fan mod. it is recommended to install a low temp. temperature fan switch, so that the fan comes on more frequently. It is also recommended that you install a second electric fan to prevent overheating in hotter climates.....

u n d e r s t e e r . c o m
People have removed the engine driven fan and had no problems. As in not installed a lower temp fan switch or water wetter. I'm saying that just a bad engine driven fan will not cause a car to overheat. Especially when it's december, lets think about the problem at hand and not the fan delete mod. Which btw seemed like a waste to me (no improvement in butt dyno) lol, but that's a different story.

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:51 AM
n00b

whonneb is on a distinguished road
+1 I agree

Water pump comes to mind as well. When you let car idle or get to regular engine temp, feel the hoses and see if both are warm.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
^ Hi, I read in post #1 he had the water pump done ???

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Science Roolz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
^ Hi, I read in post #1 he had the water pump done ???
that's because people don't read before they post

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)