STEREO or SPEAKERS or BOTH? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
frenchtoast is on a distinguished road
STEREO or SPEAKERS or BOTH?

I want to replace my stereo. I am hoping that a new stereo will improve sound quality to a reasonable level from my stock speakers. Am I delerious? What experience have others had with this?
Any stereo suggestions?
I have a 1997 328i with 10 speakers (I'm assuming it isn't the H-K upgrade since it doesn't indicate that anywhere).

(If you give me good stereo advice I promise never to install huge subs and play gangsta rap loudly):wink
frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
1. take picture of CD player that is in your car now.
2. post it here.
3. sell it to me for $10 when I want it.
4. buy a headunit that accepts an aux input so you can plug your iPod into it.
5. Enjoy life.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
Upgrade the Head Unit first, then the speakers as you see its fit.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
yep, if its the stock stereo, upgrade the stereo first, it will make a BIG difference

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
HK upgrade?

Do you have the CD stereo now? I think it came with the HK upgrade? But like everyone else has said, replace the head-unit first. I upgraded the kick panel speakers to Infinity's but that was along with the JVC AR960 head unit upgrade. The JVC AR960 is iPod compatible but there's even newer ones out now that display better info from the iPod and have a better interface. So you can actually run the iPod from the stereo head unit. But the AR960 is a great unit and matched the interior of the E36 pretty well (mostly blacked out face...). I used a Metra harness adapter so I didn't have to cut the factory harness wires. I used the JVC - iPod adapter cable to get iPod capability. Since I was more interested in a blacked out face plate than built-in iPod capabilty originally. But it's my daughter's car and she wanted to play iPod stuff with it so there ya go.

-Mike

Hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
frenchtoast is on a distinguished road
USB ports?

Thanks for the input. No I do not have the HK or the stock CD. And I just threw out my all my Joy Division and Elvis Costello cassette tapes.
I'm thinking about the Blaupunkt Bahamas; pretty simple looking yet still kinda cool. Maybe one of the Sony's with the MP3 jack and USB port on the faceplate (I like the idea of throwing my music quickly on a 1 GB memory stick and just plugging it in). Or I have perused Alpine and Clarion as well.
My criteria is that it must match the orange lighting fairly closely, a single cd is fine, and a jack for my Sony MP3 (I'm a bit anti-ipod).
frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA

this stereo matches up pretty good since it mostly blacked out and you can change the screen color to any color u want, i had it on my 318i and loved it, then i upgraded to the newer one with a usb port and was awesome as well, it reads the usb thumb drive real fast

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
I prefer Alpine & Pioneer Elite. Panasonic is ok, but I think JVC, Sony, Dual, Aiwa, etc. are garbage.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)