Step Tronic:Good,bad Why? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

View Poll Results: Step tronic or automatic
Step tronic 7 87.50%
Automatic 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:21 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maximusmace is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Step Tronic:Good,bad Why?

Im new here so first id like to hello to every one:lol:

Okay guyz im getting a 328is in summer and i plan on getting it with Step Tronic. I plan on making an engine swap from its base engine to a 1995 M3 3.0liter engine. Will this cause a problem with the Step tronic? If so wat can I do to fix the problem and wat can i do to be able to keep the S.T? plz helpused:

"Civics wish they could be me,Mustangs wish they could see me. So they'll have to Keep trying"

MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:41 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
first off , why get an automatic .. unless your getting it for free.... secondly no there should be a problem with the engine/transmission issue...
thirdly the problems you will encounter with this swap is that the 328 is obdII and the M3 engine is OBDI

#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
steptronic = automatic
it's the A\M button that's on the gear shifter console

if your thinking triptronic, (AKA:SMG,) good luck setting that up in an E36, I'd like to see that.

if you can, go manual and leave out the CDV when you do the swap
Welcome to the forums

Last edited by bitcore; 02-06-2006 at 08:29 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 02:02 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Bitcore, The SMG-I was available for the e36 m3 evolution (321bhp) overseas. I am planning to put a... more hardy variation of this gearbox in my own e36 m3 (US-spec) - if an SMG-II can work, that seems most likely.

Butr you are both right, Steptronic is available on the auto's, and it is essentially useless. Just keep it in sport mode.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
n00b

Maximusmace is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Okay so Step tronic does nothing?? and even if i was to upgrade the ECU so that iT would remove rev limter and Gov? I mean why is S.T so useless lol i would luv to know why ppl even got it as a option. any added insight would be a great help. Thx guyz Oh yeah and the reson why i wanted the Auto/S.t is because i live in New york and to be shifting up and down during the almost always traffic would well....cause me to kill some one. And personally i have used the S.t in my mums 325is and it does a good job of making g35's look old and grey compared to it, and thats no bull. any who more,more, n more insight XD

"Civics wish they could be me,Mustangs wish they could see me. So they'll have to Keep trying"

MM

Last edited by Maximusmace; 02-07-2006 at 11:16 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 07:22 PM
5th Gear Member

catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
You would need an M3 transmission i beleive.. the m3 automatic is much stronger than the regular e36's.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:00 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Steptronic essentially allows you to manually shift your automatic. Why I mean it is absolutely useless is that even though you can manually shift, it is far slower than manual operation; or, last time I checked, normal automatic on Sport Mode (This may have changed with the e90's?). So any time gained by proper shifting is lost by slow shifts. Also, due to the slow shifts you really have to predict when you're shifting your car - unlike with an SMG though, you don't have to bother to rev match or what not - the ultimate lazy tool.

Not to say it's bad; I mean, if that's your thing...

Personally, just get the SMG And hope it's not buggy...

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
Your better off getting a manual, plus it's cheaper(from the dealer). and it's Tiptronic, not Triptronic, and thats for Audi/Porsche..
Doing an OBDI 3.0L S50 swap is a good idea, but not if you plan on keeping the automatic transmission, it's pointless, and calling the Steptronic 'manual' is basically..well nonsense, it's auto, no clutch etc..but we all know this..
basically we are trying to tell you don't get an auto tranny(and getting steptronic wont be any more significant, because you still can't raise the RPM's manually unless in neutral, which is lame), unless you plan on swapping a manual with the S50.

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
#9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Threadkiller

the AT does not have a clutch, it has a torque converter, this is where the majority of the crappyness of owning an automatic comes from. SMG is essentially an automatic transmission with an automaticly actuated clutch, and with the ability to control your engine's throttle.

#10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:24 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore
the AT does not have a clutch, it has a torque converter, this is where the majority of the crappyness of owning an automatic comes from. SMG is essentially an automatic transmission with an automaticly actuated clutch, and with the ability to control your engine's throttle.
Yes... yes... but do not forget about the fact that the SMG is more precise, accurate and quick than humanly possible.
This is at the tradeoff of delicate wheel-horsepower control. Delicate control - by nature of it being a manual, you still have more control than with an automatic...

I am obviously a HUGE fan of SMG, because I think it can make driving much... well... more efficient than either manual or automatic. I am used to getting flamed for it. Bring it.

No, really, get a manual anyway. If you really want, you can always swap the manual with an SMG. Hydraulics is fun.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:24 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
hate to tell you but first gen smg was a bit flawed. i love the idea , and its a sexy mod, but really i would rather a 6speed manual over smg..

#12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Storamin is an unknown quantity at this point
they're the same thing... both slow as molasas going uphill in winter.

#13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
SMG is flawed, but faster than any human could drive a stick.

Ill agree with Storamin's statement about them though.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
hate to tell you but first gen smg was a bit flawed. i love the idea , and its a sexy mod, but really i would rather a 6speed manual over smg..
SMG-I, I will not deny, was very flawed. SMG-II much less so (seemed more sturdy in the z4 for some reason - maybe because of the torque/hp e46 m3?) But I have heard NOTHING bad about the SMG-III.

What my end goal is - SMG-II + Dinan S3.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrwyntr
Yes... yes... but do not forget about the fact that the SMG is more precise, accurate and quick than humanly possible.
This is at the tradeoff of delicate wheel-horsepower control. Delicate control - by nature of it being a manual, you still have more control than with an automatic...

I am obviously a HUGE fan of SMG, because I think it can make driving much... well... more efficient than either manual or automatic. I am used to getting flamed for it. Bring it.

No, really, get a manual anyway. If you really want, you can always swap the manual with an SMG. Hydraulics is fun.
Oh I wasn't dissing on the SMG, SMG is the shit!

Back on topic, unless you have loads of money and your going to track-prepare this car, I'd just throw a manual gearbox in there and call it a day.... unless you can get a damn cheep price for one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)