BMW Werkz banner

Steering Problem - 92 318i

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  runna 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help me before I take my car to get serviced. My steering has been slightly stiffer, but not anything really noticeable, over the last few months. Then the other day as I drove off from work (it was fine in the morning), the steering was much stiffer, but a bit scarier, the steering doesn't really centre properly (onlyif it turned a fair way). If the wheel is turned off centre, it will pretty much stay that way.

I've had a quick look, and the power steering fluid levels seem pretty good. The fluid doesn't look brand new, but not dirty. There aren't any noticeable leaks around the steering rack etc.

Any ideas? thanks :idea2

#2 ·
Since you eliminated the fluids as a cause then:
A. do you hear any noice/s when turning the steering wheels?

B. The cheaper way out is to have it checked at a wheel alignment place; before they perform any alignments they usually test the front end for any possible worn out parts..they let you know either way!
good luck
billb

#4 ·
I'm having the same problem with my steering. After doing a 90 degree turn I fisically have to turn the wheel back and align the car, and it does feel stiffer than before. replaced PS fluid and no change, sadly enough it could be the steering rack or pump.
Check those! and i'll check them too.

#5 ·
I had a similar problem, I replaced the clamps that hold the power steering fluid under the power steering tank. It helped.

Bmw's clamps, even thought good quality, are not adjustable, replacing them with regular clamps will allow you to tighten them as much as needed.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Rooz@Feb 1 2005, 05:54 PM
I had a similar problem, I replaced the clamps that hold the power steering fluid under the power steering tank. It helped.

How does replacing clamps [to the P/S hoses] fix that problem ?
Replacing clamps will fix leakage, if any exists. The original
poster didn't mention any leaks. So, I don't understand
how replacing the clamps would fix stiffer steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.