starter problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cymorg is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
starter problems

So an increasing problem w/ my 96 318is has been the starter. More and more often it won't start. I KEEP trying and KEEP trying and sometimes have to wait a minute and finally it starts. Other times it behaves as though nothing was ever wrong in the first place.

When I first got my car I took it to the dealer and told them about the problem. Under their deep, expensive, thorough "diagnostic" work they said nothing was wrong with it and that it started perfectly each time they tried it. Well, the problem is really bad now. It's making me scared to drive places and even worse-- its embarassing sitting in a parking lot grinding away trying to get your car started.

A friend listened to my car and said it sounded like the starter was going bad or getting worn out. I was wondering:

1.) Price range for a brand new starter? Can I get on eBay without worrying?

2.) How difficult is it to rebuild an E36 starter compared to your average Ford/Chevy starter? Is there any difference?

The reason I ask the 2nd part is because (check my location) I live in eastern Kentucky. Not many BMW's around here. Even fewer mechanics that can do much work on them. Could your average redneck mechanic rebuild a BMW starter or is it different than most starters?

THANKS

sorry this post is so long. wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 04:03 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
hmm tough call, just replace it though, chances are its the starter. i think the starter are one of those components that if its working than it wont show any problems. i hate trying to give advice to change stuff over the net, because the margin of me being wrong is so vast. however in your case your in a bit of a bind.

#3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm kinda confused reading your post, sorry. Is your starter turning over, but the engine is not firing? Or is your starter not turning over at all some times?

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)