BMW Werkz banner

Stalled E36

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bimmerfan620 
#1 ·
I have a 93 325is 5 speed. I was driving my girl home early this morning to return in time to go to work. Right after i dropped her off, as I made a right turn to get back on the Highway the cars idling dropped and it stalled. I started it back up again and was able to get a few feet more before it stalled for good. I was able to get a boost from a one good samaritin but that had no effect. When I tried to start it it seemed like the engine was having trouble turning over. No lights were on and I didn't go over any bump. I ended up pushing it through the Van Wyck traffic back to her block. I wanted to troubleshoot more but after being in the NYC's 6 degree weather I gave up for today. Tomorrow, I'm gonna go back and try some more things before I bite the bullet and have it towed to a shop. I was wondering if anyone had and any ideas on what could be the problem and if possible, a solution. I plan to check the battery and the fuses. I saw an older post about idler and tension pulley problems. I wonder if that might apply. Any help is very much appreciated. :help

#2 ·
take off, and clean the battery posts and terminals, and re-install them tight, then jump start the car and it should run...if your not getting any lights at all even then it is most definitely your connections that were bad and completely went to crap.

#4 ·
Originally posted by bimmerfan620@Jan 16 2004, 10:04 PM
take off, and clean the battery posts and terminals, and re-install them tight, then jump start the car and it should run...if your not getting any lights at all even then it is most definitely your connections that were bad and completely went to crap.
I think he meant that no warning lights came on prior to the stalling. If the battery goes completely dead, even the alternator won't keep it running at an idle, it can stall. Perhaps your battery is royally screwed, or the alternator isn't charging it.
Also check the Fuel pump and fuse.

#5 ·
Originally posted by TECH+Jan 18 2004, 12:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TECH @ Jan 18 2004, 12:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bimmerfan620@Jan 16 2004, 10:04 PM
I think he meant that no warning lights came on prior to the stalling. If the battery goes completely dead, even the alternator won't keep it running at an idle, it can stall. Perhaps your battery is royally screwed, or the alternator isn't charging it.
Also check the Fuel pump and fuse. [/b][/quote]
right on brother...... i think he dicked his car up pretty bad though. :wrench

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.