spring shock input - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I should have an ass load of overtime over the next month. Since my car has 115K miles on it, it should be time for new springs and shocks. I have the sport suspension now, and love how the car sits low. I really want to keep that, but not go any lower, I bottom the car out enough as is. I also DO NOT want a stiffer ride. I drive this car to work every day, and want the smoothest ride possible.

What would should I get? I was thinking about bilstens and some spring with 1 1/2" of drop to them. Does anyone know how much the factory sport suspension is lowered compared to stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 08:45 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by wulley1@Jul 13 2004, 06:11 PM
I should have an ass load of overtime over the next month. Since my car has 115K miles on it, it should be time for new springs and shocks. I have the sport suspension now, and love how the car sits low. I really want to keep that, but not go any lower, I bottom the car out enough as is. I also DO NOT want a stiffer ride. I drive this car to work every day, and want the smoothest ride possible.

What would should I get? I was thinking about bilstens and some spring with 1 1/2" of drop to them. Does anyone know how much the factory sport suspension is lowered compared to stock?
I was in the same position as you when I started looking at my suspension. I wanted the ride to still be comfy and yet handle better for auto-x. You are going to have to compromise some where. The setup I have ended up with is Bilstien Touring shocks with bavauto.com springs. There is one problem with this setup. The Touring shocks aren't made for lowering springs, but the drop is less than 1 1/2" so I think its gonna be fine. If you go with the Bilstien sport springs the ride will most likely be too firm for you, since you still want stock ride quality. Even though my car rides like stock on good roads, once you get onto bad/not so good roads you can really start to feel it. Intersections that used to be just fine now throw the car every where, but all the city roads around here are horrible Hope this helps.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 09:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Bilstein Touring have a near OEM (Boge ) feel on my 1988 750. The only downside was the strut rod is not threaded as far down as the Boge and I had to put a flat washer under the brass washer just below the strut lock nut to be able to torque her down and stop any rattles. Not any big deal but if you go that route remember this post. I bought my struts from PROAM Auto in Texas for $65.00 each
#4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:23 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
i went with the bilstein sports and H&Rsports, absolutely no complaints.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 07:49 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear@Jul 13 2004, 09:47 PM
Bilstein Touring have a near OEM (Boge ) feel on my 1988 750. The only downside was the strut rod is not threaded as far down as the Boge and I had to put a flat washer under the brass washer just below the strut lock nut to be able to torque her down and stop any rattles. Not any big deal but if you go that route remember this post. I bought my struts from PROAM Auto in Texas for $65.00 each
theres no problem with installing them on an E36.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 11:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
what if I got an adjustable shock. Would the softest setting be clost to stock? Then I could set it to firm when I needed the handeling.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 PM
5th Gear Member

Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wulley1@Jul 14 2004, 12:22 PM
what if I got an adjustable shock. Would the softest setting be clost to stock? Then I could set it to firm when I needed the handeling.
You bottom the car out on stock sport suspension? Maybe you blew a damper. used

If you want a stock ride feel get the Boge Automatic Gas or Bilstein Touring paired with either H&R OE Sport Stage 1 or Bav Auto sport springs. An adjustable KONI damper on the softest setting would still be much stiffer than stock. You don't really have many options. Most people lower the car and upgrade dampers because they want better looks along with better handling. I'd say, look into the H&R OE Sports, they are only 1" lower than stock and they are very soft springs.

Bry

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
#8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the input, it's been really helpful. I wouldn't have gotten what I want with out it.

I do bottom the car out alot, and have to go over obsticles carefully. Speed bumps, I always have to crawl over. I park in a parking garage, and you have to go to the top floor to get to the exit. When I get to the top of the ramp I have to crawl over the lip or it will bottom out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)