BMW Werkz banner

Spray Painting Calipers

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  k2c69n 
#1 ·
Got myself some new rotors :D and I thought i might as well paint the calipers while i am at it. Has anyone here done it and have some kind of step-by-step procedures that i can have reference to? Thanks!

#4 ·
I just did mine this weekend. It was easier for me to do at the time, because I was changing rotors and pads.

I used a wirebrush attached to a cordless drill to sand off all of the rust and brake dust. Then simply spray painted them making sure not to get any on the brake piston.

If you're going t obe doing this while the calipers are installed, I would suggest a brush instead of spray can. You don't want to get any on the pads or rotors.

#9 ·
I did a search on the relevant sub-forums from this webpage, doesn't look like there's a DIY section to show you how to do it.

if anyone has done it could you please show us your work? My car is white and there's just too many red capliers on white car over here. What other colours are good on white cars?

#11 ·
Originally posted by wulley1@Sep 29 2004, 10:03 AM

I used a wirebrush attached to a cordless drill to sand off all of the rust and brake dust. Then simply spray painted them making sure not to get any on the brake piston.

If you're going t obe doing this while the calipers are installed, I would suggest a brush instead of spray can. You don't want to get any on the pads or rotors.
[snapback]201360[/snapback]​
Excellent advice there, I sprayed mine last weekend with a similiar method last weekend and they came out great....... really a nice compliment to my zimmerman cross drilled rotors.

I would also recommend that you treat the calipers after sanding. Go after it with a can of brake cleaner and a blower (I have a compressor so its easy for me) but you could probably use a leaf blower or even those air in can jobbies) Make sure you get off all excess dust and residue, then use a little paint thinner and clean the calipers one more time. This ensures that your paint will bound well to the caliper (remaining dust and dirt/greease will cause the paint to peal on you)

When selecting paint, the high temp can stuff is fine, don't get the 500 degree stuff, spend the extra 50 cents and get 1200+ degree paint. Those calipers can get real hot under certain conditions and the paint will burn right off.

I suggest applying 3 light coats, allowing each coat to properly set to ensure the paint doesn't burn up on you.

Good luck!
NL

#14 ·
I like the look of black calipers.

The part about cleaning calipers again with laquer thinner is very important since the brake parts cleaner will leave a residue paint can't stick to. However, cleaning with both is a little overkill, you should be fine using just laquer thinner on it.

#16 ·
Originally posted by bmwcrazy@Sep 29 2004, 12:10 PM
If you dont care about bleeding your system, just take of the calipers. It was a lot easier painting them with them off the car.
[snapback]201363[/snapback]​

oh is it really that easy to bleed bmw brakes? or maybe you have to use a pressure bleeder.....? ill have to try that sometime

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.