Some Help Me So I Dont Get Screwed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 03:08 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CityFracture is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
well im going in about a few hours to check out a 92 318IS but with an M3 engine in there. All the parts to make the engine work properly were installed too. my concern is the cover doesnt say Mpower tho they say its the 325 or something that the 95 M3's used (sorry if im not making sense, but i hope im close, i didnt really understand the lady due to she was hyper) but would that still be giving me 240hp? I dont want to buy the car and be stuck with some beat ass engine and have to pay extra for it. Also the computer screwed up and pushed the milage back to 8,000 tho it has 59,000 on the body, anything i should look for? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
alright so i found out more, its a 95 325IS engine modded to a M3 engine (im guessing the power) so yeah is this a good chance to take, thanks for anyones help.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

325iS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by CityFracture@Nov 10 2004, 04:48 PM
alright so i found out more, its a 95 325IS engine modded to a M3 engine (im guessing the power) so yeah is this a good chance to take, thanks for anyones help.
[snapback]228246[/snapback]
I would be sceptical of the deal since there is little way for them to prove it has all the M3 mods. It also sounds like you aren't too knowledgable in the cars anyway and I'm sure the seller can sense that and my try to take advantage of you.

Do you even know what the difference are between the engines?

If I were you, I would at least have them prove the power by putting the car on a chassis dyno or at least have a someone you trust that knows more about cars drive it an verify that the car has the power that the seller claims.

-Brian-

'88 Mustang LX coupe
- - - 11.56 @ 120 - - - 410 rwhp / 459 rwtq (Naturally Aspirated)
Hell yeah, it's a street car!
'92 325iS - - - - - - - - - 15.328 @ 89.70
#4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 05:52 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
well i know alot about cars just not engine swapping and stuff, they say that its the 95 325IS engine but has the modds to make it exactly like the M3 engine, it has the M3 kit, and what not, there willing to go get me a specs sheet from the dealer or whatever the person said, i mean i dont want to buy a 318IS converted and have crummy hp and have to pay what i did, my fathers a mechanic and will be with me when i go, its just im wondering with that work is the car worth it, thanks for the help tho.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
tell them u want to keep the car over night, and bring it to a dealership... and have them check it out... and then see if its worth it or not to buy

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear Member

iantosca is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to iantosca
There's an easy way to tell. If it's a 318 it's a 4 cylinder ... just pop the hood. If it's a 6 cylinder, drive it and figure out the power ... m3 power is very easy to tell.

98' BMW 328i - Jet Black, Black Leather, Alpine CDA-9831 HU

<span style='color:red'>For Sale:</span> Sony CDX-F5000 Xplod w/ Wiring Harness, iBook G3 900 Mhz 640 MB SDRAM w/ Original Box and Software + OS X Panther + Microsoft Office

(PM on any offers, Going on E-Bay soon ...)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Neutral Member

bmw323inewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
dunno city, I'd be sceptical buying a motor like that, if it's a 318is, bits and pieces were designed for 100 bhp less, buying a proper 328 / m3 is probably the best way forward in my opinion ; saying that I got a 323i completely stock (mechanically) but I like it that way

<a href='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=642 ' target='_blank'>http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...&cmd=si&img=642</a>
#8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Walk away.

The only engine that can be truely converted to m3 spec is the nonvanos 92 engine. At best he added m3 cams. NOT M3 PERFORMANCE!

Second, the computer doesn't store the mileage. Othewise it would reset everytime the battry is replaced. The car has a different cluster and there is no way to verify the age. Especially, 59k on a 14 year old car? BS.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 04:51 PM
JAX
Neutral Member

JAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JAX
@El Presidente .... maybe not M3 Power as you say but 5 years ago I had a E30 325I with an engine made by Hartge ... it could beat the crap out of an M3 ... so the cover or camshaft does not say everything .... just as an ideea.

The best thing to do , it to take the car on the tester and see the specs. Measure the pressure on the engine , check for "hanging" wires in the engine bay , even under the steering wheel if possible .... turn around the car and if you think it woths the money ... look dissapointed get the price down and buy it.
They know they will never get the price they ask if the car has a swaped engine and you can find some small glitches.
Look under the car for oil and stuff .... look busy and first of all try the car yourself. And when I say TRY IT , I mean TRY IT .... get the best out of it to be sure everything hods together under stress. ( I'll do it .. stress it I mean )

--== 316i Cupe / 325TDS Engine ==-- <br> --------------183 HP----------- </br>-- == JAX the RiPPeR == --
#10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
took it for a spin last night and it drives well and is truely fast, ill give it that. i was told its not as fast as a M3 its just a little slower, tho i will look for hanging wires and stuff (thanks for that) but from driving it last night, its really smooth shifting wise and such, the only thing that sucks is the rpms can make out without redlining since the spedometer is less powerful than the engine, otherwise the cars pretty sweet didnt give me a problem, tho im just cautious about the engine swap, tho there is a warrenty on the engine. thanks for everyones opinions and help.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 01:39 AM
JAX
Neutral Member

JAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JAX
Only the guy who sells you the car can give you warranty on the car or engine , BMW won't do it.
Try to hit some small bumps with the car to hear the suspension , check the brakes and open the oil change cap and look for skum there in the engine room.
If there is skum ...let it be.

--== 316i Cupe / 325TDS Engine ==-- <br> --------------183 HP----------- </br>-- == JAX the RiPPeR == --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)