Solo 2 AutoCross Events ? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
Talking

hey
do any of you guys go for Solo 2 AutoCross events with your 3 series ? I am planning to go to my first one this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips if they had been to one...like what psi to put in the tires...etc...
thanks a lot
Q

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Q_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
I'm in it, just my club doesn't participate in SOLO2, they just call it autocross, but it's the same thing.

Tips for the autocross: Drink lots of water, WEAR SUNTAN LOTION, take the crap out of your car before you go.

Driving tips: don't go out there expecting to be the best in your first event. Use it as a learning experience. Don't power out of the turns sideways, oversteer is slow. Smooth= fast. Listen to what people are telling you about lines through the course.

Tires: I used to run really high pressures but tried backing them down, I found that like 48 front and 44 rear is actually pretty good. Take some shoe polish to put on the sidewall so you can see how far the wall is rolling over.

One more thing, they tell you to take the spare out, but it throws off the ballance of the car, so you probably just want to make sure it's secure and tell them you're leaving the spare in for weight distribution. But make sure to take the jack out.

And if you search, there's an "e36 autocross thread" that I started awhile back, we'll all be expecting pictures!

Kevin

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Take some shoe polish to put on the sidewall so you can see how far the wall is rolling over.
This is another statement i found in the handbook:
Quote:
Put chalk on the edges of your tire, in three places around the diameter, and you can see how far over the tire was going during your runs. Bleed out a little if the chalk is still showing on the tread, or add a little more if the chalk has been worn off down the sidewall. The line of worn chalk to remaining chalk should be right at the corner of the tread and sidewall. Keep notes on how many psi you ran, and where the chalk line was, for your next event.
Sorry if I sound really stupid but i do not get this idea of putting chalk/polish on the tire and seeing how much air it has..can someone explain it any simpler if possible ?

ya i will take out the jack, guess my sub will need to come out too!! will try taking pics....wha do u use for numbering your cars and stuff ? are there any cool stickers which i can put on the body and will peel off without damage ?
Also any idea if i replace my exhaust with a normal catbak exhaust if it will throw me out of the stock category, as of now i think man DS.
thanks guys
Q

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Old 07-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
You'll stay in stock with the exaust.

Go to www.solotime.com for numbers, you can just use tape on the windows, that's what I do till I can get some cash for magnetic ones.

Chalk and shoe polish is trying to accomplish the same thing. The whole point of putting a higher PSI in the tires so so that they don't roll over onto the sidewall but still get the maximum contact patch. So if you put some chalk on the side of the tread and all the chack on the side isn't there when you get back to the pit, your psi is too low and you need to add some because the sidewall is rolling over and rubbing the chalk off.

On the flip side if you still have chalk on the actual tread of the tire (not the sidewall) then your tires are over inflated and you need to let some air out so the whole tread is contacting.

Just curious, what book do you got?

Kevin

Old 07-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
You'll have two points 1 for the catback, 1 for the sharking, so you shoudl still remain in stock. If you're considering getting serious with it don't do any other mods to the engine, suspension is the name of the game in autocross.

Kevin

Old 07-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
350z

Car: 03 Nissan 350z Track
Photos:
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin325i@Jul 13 2004, 03:06 PM
suspension is the name of the game in autocross.

true that ill try to get pics from the local autox events around here i really want to start doing this once i get my next car! as for now i am a spectator! but yeah make sur eyou dont try to do to much at once, although your car probably wont get hurt due to autox being in closed environments you never know! just take it easy for a season, then whoop em next year!

You gotta start somewhere!

David
Old 07-13-2004, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey
thanks guys, advice taken.
the book i got was the novice handbook, its avaialble online for anyone who wants to check it out. you can view it {HERE}

Quote:
suspension is the name of the game in autocross.
so changing the suspension would still keep me in stock ? for some reason i thought suspension mods would push me out of stock. anyways so i got my car shark injected, debaffled my airbox, a stainless steel catback is on the way....apart from suspension (which i dont have cash for now....btw how expensive are the ones u guys recommend) what other mods are recommended ? CAI ?

So kevin, basically i should put chalk on the threads and drive around and see if the chalk is rubbed off , if its not then psi is fine ? will start with psi u recommened.

thanks a ton guys.....
Q

Old 07-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
350z

Car: 03 Nissan 350z Track
Photos:
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
umm for the suspension for autoxing i would reccomend the bilstein coilvers, however those are anywhere from 900 to 1200$ the only reason why i reccomend those is because you can go from track height to driving height in seconds, and anywhere inbetween depending on the drive, however a nice set of say H&r cupkit wouldnt do you bad either, the price im not sure of but i think its around like 5 or 6 something!

David
Old 07-13-2004, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey
thanks bigred
will put that next on my list when ig et some money...how much does installation normally run for these ? or is it a decent DIY ?
thanks
also i do not have a helmet, do they normally have ones to spare ?
Q

Old 07-13-2004, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
My club has loner helmets, you might want to check to make sure you've got access. Some clubs make you buy them, other's don't

Yes suspension changes will bump you front stock category. I was saying that if you plan on getting serious in the autocross thing, getting bumped because of suspension is better than getting bumped because you've got a CAI and exaust.

For the chalk, I recomend white shoe polish because chalk can rub off pretty easily. This is for at the track though, the only way to test it around town would be to like go take some really hard turns with the shoe polish on there.

Another thing. Make sure you check the PSI a couple times during the day. When your tires sit in the sun they get hot and the pressure will increase inside them.

So if you have a benchmark like, let's say before you leave that night before when the tires are cool you set them all to 40 PSI. Then you get to the track and go to increase the pressures and you get like 43 on the side in the sun and 40 on the side in the shade.

Since you knew they were both 40 PSI when you go to fill them up you'll beable to keep the PSI the same even though they're not the same (because one is hotter)

So if you start with 40PSI get to the track and the left side is 43PSI and the right is still 40 PSI then you use that difference of 3 psi and factor it in so that the left side is still 3 PSI higher than the right.

Much simpler, make sure you know that the tire pressures for the front left/right and rear left/right are the same. That way you can get to the track and just increase in tire by like 10 PSI and NOT put all the tires to 48.

Ok, that was super long, but if you need it explained again, I'll try it really isn't that complicated but explaining it is.

Kevin

Old 07-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey kevin
thanks for the explanation. so please confirm if i understood this right.
the night before or morning before i start the car i will fill 40 PSI in all the tires.
then if before i get on the race track (at the event location) and check my tires to find that :
front right: 40
front left: 43
rear right: 40
rear left: 43

and if my goal is to use ur recommendations and follow:
Quote:
48 front and 44 rear is actually pretty good.
then i should make sure that:
front right: 40 +8 = 48 PSI
front left: 43 + 8 = 51 PSI
rear right: 40 + 4 = 44 PSI
rear left: 43 + 4 = 47 PSI

Have I got the concept clear...sorry for all the math. Also do I need to check it after every run ?

I called and the club said they have loaner helmets so thats all cool. Gonna call the guys at the link you said and see if i can order some cheap ones. Will i keep the same number at every event or everytime i should be prepared to get any number ?
Also i forgot but someone was saying that white shoe polish is fine on the windows as well as it comes out with windex...is that cool ? wont mess up my tints rite ?lol

thanks guys...
Q

Old 07-13-2004, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Yeah that's exactly what I mean.

If you have time you could check them after every run, but I ussually check them between heats or when I think about it.

Um some clubs don't like the use of shoe polish for numbers because it can like streak and run and it's hard to read sometimes.

I say use some duct tape just on the rear passenger window. And when you get there they will probably ask you to choose and number that you will keep should you join the club.

Kevin

Old 07-13-2004, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey cool
duck tape wont tear out my tints when i pull it out ? I am sure i could find some white paper kind of tape...cool so if I join this club would i be considered a member for like an autocross event held in WI or in st louis or something ? or is it just specific to the place where i autocross ? Also how many digits must my number that i will get to choose be ? any idea ?
thanks again...aprreciate the help
Q

Old 07-13-2004, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Ussually any memebership you get will be to that club. If you want you don't have to join to race, you can ussually just race without being a member.

Youre tint should be on the inside, so you'll be ok with the tape. Only problem is, if the duct tape sits in the sun you're going to have to use some laquer thinner on it to remove the extra goo. You could just print out really big numbers, I used to haev some but I lost them.

Kevin

Old 07-13-2004, 05:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey
ya will look for some tape which doesnt stick as hard as ducktape
also ur previous thread for the autocross, for some reason only the first page works...check it out: http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...utocross+thread

how many sets of numbers do i need ? one on eash side ? will just print 2 sets of numbers , so i can make any 2 digit number and stick the paper on my window...lol
Q

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)