Software Feature? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 08:32 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
komodo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have an auto car, and yesterday it did something strage, but cool. I was on expressways toward north ga, huge open roads with no cops, flooring it. It was in 3rd gear and revs were climbing. The needle hit redline, and rather than just shifting like normal, it sat there and fluttered around the redline, dipping below it and coming back above it really fast. After a few seconds of this, it shifted giving me a HUGE burst of power (and I was already going just under 100). I was like "whoa, what the hell? kick ass.... "

This ever happened to anyone else before? Is it a feature of the conforti software, or did I just confuse it or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:21 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
I'd venture to say.....

That due to the fact that you have Conforti Software... He raises the rev limiter 250RMPs... so ... if your flooring it... the mapping for that gear.. might have been over lapped.. meaning... his software was allowing you to climb higher in RPMS... and then the computer saw that it was above what it should have been and tried to back it down... the dropping.. and then shotting back above really fast resembles a rev limiter. So that might be a good idea as to what just happend to you.. it makes sense to me...

About the short burst of power... I would be guessing that when your cars next gear after the crazy madness had just occure was at a higher RMP then its use to.. it got a little more power... who knows man... cool though.

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
When the 3rd gear is in and the revs go up and down, the speed should do the same!!? Explain.......

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 11:40 AM
4th Gear Member

BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
being that the software changed your redline, it thus allowed the engine to ultimately shift into a little higher RPMs when going into 4th. This most likely brought it into a higher and better point in the powerband, explaining the power.

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
#5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 02:31 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

komodo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Yeah, that makes sense if it was always like that. But this was a one time thing. I wish it'd do it all the time though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)