....so new coil springs coming :) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
topless_328 is on a distinguished road
....so new coil springs coming :)

After the broken spring found on my car (see http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...ics-51692.html) Decided this is was a perfect time to do the H&R sport spring set-up i've wanted. Picked them up from Turner Mo-Sport along with some front strut reinforcement plates and new 15mm rear spring pads.

I'm attempting the job myself with a knowledgable buddy of mine, but a nice DIY would help out alot. I have the 'bentley manual' for the car, so that should help. Any other tips would be greatly appriciated. Thankz!

Mike

-Automotive Engineer in Training-
topless_328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Bump. You should be fine. It's pretty late here so ill get to this tomorrow.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
if you just follow les's DIY its exactly the same even though his is an m3 (only difference is where the sways attach) and his are coilovers (they all attach the same way) http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/upg...-m3-40908.html

you should be alright...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Is it going to be a problem that i'll be using all the old nuts and bolts?? The bentley manual talks about a "self locking nut" when removing the front strut. Does any know abou this?? Thanks

Mike

Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Great DIY tho....thanks for that

Mike

Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
the self locking nut should come with the struts in the kit i believe... on top of the strut... and with the old bolts... technically you would want to get new ones, but i highly recommend using lock-tite on all of your bolts new or old, and there shouldnt be a problem ethier way...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Installed the coil springs today/tonight....took a little longer than planned, but damn!!, do they look good.

I got one question/ comment about the install. I had a f-ing horrible time unbolting the "cv shafts ?" from the differential! MY GOD...the driver side one had the exhust pipes in the way and had all of about 30 degrees of wrench movement. Had to undo one...turn the drive shaft, undo another, turn * 6. Is this wat you all go through to do this job??!! It was not cool. I'll post pics tomorrow of the new drop.

Mike

Old 03-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Why the heck did you have to undo those? Seriously the job is undo a few bolts back there, have a friend step on the spring perch enough so you wiggle the old spring out, and then throw in the newer spring.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yeah man. It seems to me like you took the long/unnecessary route. Glad you got them in, though.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
SOB! i was just goin the route i read in the Bentley manual.....those Bastards! I read somewhere you had to do that so the CV shafts wouldn't extend below a certain angle. WOW...well i guess they're in, but it was't fun.

Mike

Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Photos:
Bummer man. Usually rear springs are 10-15 minutes per side including setup and removal of wheel. Oh well at least you're happy with your ride. The fronts will take a month to three to finally settle in. The rears should look quite a bit set in and deeper than the front.

PICS!!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
haha damn thats a bummer... shoulda trusted in les... :\
Old 04-02-2007, 10:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
pics are up boys....

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/pic...-up-51804.html

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)