BMW Werkz banner

snow chains

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  WarNox 
#1 ·
i am about to go on a skiing trip in a few weeks and getting everything ready. i need to get chains, i do not normally live in the snow so do not have snow or special winter tires. what do u guys recommend in regards to chains, is there some special kind i should get or anything else to know?

thnx in advance

#4 ·
yep southern hem. yeah i'll definatelly take my car, the probability of having to use chains is low but still there. i really got no need for winter tires, of using them for 1 week a year.

#5 ·
Cruzin 323is said:
where are u going that u need chains in june/july???

somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Elevation, my friend. :)

WarNox,

Tire chains are come in standard sizes adjustable to most passenger car tire sizes. I would highly suggest NOT using them on your car because it is a nice car with nice wheels which the chains will destroy. If you have steel wheels use them with chains. Also stay under 35mph ~(60km/h?). I would just rough it with your existing tires and keep the back end heavy which shouldn't be a problem with your gear and any additional persons there may be.
Have fun skiing and watch out for those trees! :)

#6 ·
Rear Wheel drive in the snow :eek: , probably cheaper, safer and well lets face it smarter to rent an SUV for the Week. Have you ever driven in snow in a rear wheel drive car, if not, I would not suggest trying it for a first time on your ski trip, its fun, but then so are bumper cars :D , I'll say it again rent an SUV for the week. Enjoy the trip ...!

#8 ·
i doubt that ill actually run into snow but just in case i do ill have a set of chains for the back wheels :d renting an suv at my age would double the price of the trip, ill let u know how it went and hopefully wont post any pictures of my car in a ditch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.