BMW Werkz banner

Simple Questions

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  flying_junk 
#1 ·
I am currently thinkging of getting an E36 M3. I noticed that the 1995 version is different than the '96-'98 versions. Why is this? Which one should I get. And is a 95K mile/old car able to last me for another 3-4 years?

Best Regards
-ken

#2 ·
Originally posted by nmtdriver@Mar 17 2005, 05:56 AM
I am currently thinkging of getting an E36 M3. I noticed that the 1995 version is different than the '96-'98 versions. Why is this? Which one should I get. And is a 95K mile/old car able to last me for another 3-4 years?

Best Regards
-ken
[snapback]313328[/snapback]​
Up to '95, it's an OBD I car. From '96 on, it's an OBD II car. If you intend to do a lot of engine mods, OBD I will repond better.

I think the engines are different sizes from OBD I and OBD II. Don't remember exact displacement. However, hp figures are the same.

OBD= On Board Diagnostics the computer that runs the car.

A properly maintained car should last a Minimum of 200,000 miles. so it depends on how much you drive in a year.

#3 ·
1995 M has the S50 motor. 96 and up had the S52. The HP's are the same becasue OBDII are more restrictive. If you get an S52 you can swap the intake manifold from the S50 and she'd really scream.. Check for head gasket failure and try to get one with receipts. She would def. last you 3-4 years no doubt

#4 ·
My father has a 1995 M3 with no problems and it already is fast as hell. I would have no reservation about getting a M3 no matter what year. Those are fairly high miles, but it really depends on if the price reflects that. M3's seem to be priced weird sometimes. I have seen people go real low because of the year and I have seen people go real high because of what it is. Look in KelleyBlueBook or kbb.com that should give you an idea.

#6 ·
I think that BMW's in general are expensive to maintain. The M3 shouldn't be any worse than my 325is. The difference is that if you had an M3 you are probably going to be driving it harder.

#7 ·
Originally posted by jshearer@Mar 17 2005, 01:00 PM
I think that BMW's in general are expensive to maintain. The M3 shouldn't be any worse than my 325is. The difference is that if you had an M3 you are probably going to be driving it harder.
[snapback]313481[/snapback]​

I've been told parts/labor on M3 is more expensive then a 325is, otherwise I would've brought an M3.

#8 ·
Not that I have seen my dad has an M3, I have an "is" and my mom has a 5 series. Labor is the same, because they all go to the same places. Parts have been the same so far too. Although insurance for the M3 is alot higher.

#9 ·
Originally posted by jshearer@Mar 17 2005, 01:41 PM
Not that I have seen my dad has an M3, I have an "is" and my mom has a 5 series. Labor is the same, because they all go to the same places. Parts have been the same so far too. Although insurance for the M3 is alot higher.
[snapback]313513[/snapback]​

Yes insurance would defintely be higher. I can see how labor might be same, but parts? M3 parts DEFINITELY have to be more expensive then your standard 3 series parts.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've been saving up for a car for a while, and Im basically limited to something under 11K. I look in the autotrader all the time, and I've been looking for either a manual 540i, an M3, or a 328is. The M3 is the fastest, the 328is has cheapest insurance, and the 540i is the most luxourious. I figure the M3 is cool becuase its not like i need to modify it to make it go fast. anyways, is there anyhting i need to ask for besides records on these cars, like pumps, a/c, clutch, etc?
Thanks
-ken

#11 ·
CARFAX, although you can't rely on it, it's a good start. Then spend $70-$90 to have a mechanic give it a pre-buy inspection (VERY IMPORTANT!!)

Saved myself from buying 2 lemons by doing a pre-buy inspection.

Also run the VIN# through your insurance company to make sure you can afford the insurance.

#12 ·
the only problem i could see when buying an older m3 with higher miles is that the m has probably been driven a lot harder than other cars. there could be more wear/mileage than you might expect.
and
95 m3 is a 3.0L and 96-99 is a 3.2L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.