Should I buy this . . . . - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
prezy4life is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Should I buy this . . . .

1995 325is BMW for $5,000 obo. also willing to trade my impreza for it.
155XXX miles

MODS:
Cold air intake
M3 front bumper + Lip
Panasonic Head Unit
Carbon Fiber Emblems (Steering wheel, Hood and Trunk)
New windshield
New radiator/coolant hoses
Front strut brace
H&R sport lowering springs
3.23 Rear differential from a 1997 M3
Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/50/16 tires all four
Satin Black painted Bmw 3 series sport wheels 16x7
Graphite painted calipers
Color matched lower body panels (Side skirt and rear bumper cover)
New NGK spark plugs as of last Autumn
New Fuel filter also last Autumn
Smoked Turn Signals and Fender signals
Smoked/Red Rear Tails
Crystal Clear fogs
Its going to need a new wheel bearing and shocks.

As far as reliability, will this car last me without breaking down all the time and how difficult is it to WORK on these cars. The reason I ask is I can only afford to have maintenance done by myself because we all know how the dealer rip us off.

On my impreza which is pictured above I have learned to remove the engine and trans. I have learned to replace cam seals, timing belt, trans seals, waterpump, etc., etc This is with no prior mechanic experience. I just read threads and manual. Although I have never done anything internal like head gaskets or adjusting valves. Do you guys think I will be able to handle maintenance jobs for this car.

Also I know the impreza ej22 motor is a much simpler machine as opposed to the "beamers," but my car is not to shabby with 238,000 miles and with no reliability issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
n00b

Andybmw is on a distinguished road
Hey,
First off its a nice example. The BMW is a hard car to work on in my experience seems like the designers never accounted for the poor person trying to take the car apart when somthing goes wrong.
I have a 318i 93 which brakes my heart on a regular basis. I put a replacement engine in it a while back. But you will get used of working on it, sure the E36 is a beautiful car to both drive and to look at. You sound like the kind of person who is handy on cars anyhow. Go for it and the very best of luck with it.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear Member

rashid is on a distinguished road
Your impreza, is WRX-STI? which year?? & what spec.?
#4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
honestly if youve done all that work on the suby you will be just fine doing any kind or work on the bmw... they are easy to work on, and there is plently of material out there if you have questions. Of course we're always here to answer any questions also. I say check it out, look for any common flaws in the e36's and see if they have been addressed. and if they have go for it. looks like a nice car...

cheers!
Salts
#5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 05:46 PM
n00b

prezy4life is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the info guys

I have made up my mind. I will just keep my car. I can't seem to see it leave;however, I am still interested in a E36. Do you guys think this one is too good to pass up just based on the info I've posted.

Rashid- my car is not a STI. It is a 97 impreza L 2.2 liter. Subaru didn't sell these cars in the US during those years. What I did was obtain JDM exterior parts and got a paint job to make it into a clone. I am still working on the drivetrain. I will probably just find a crashed WRX and swap the whole drivetrain into my car.

For those of you who might be interested. Older Imprezas are like legos. Just about every part will interchange with each other.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 06:29 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Prez, Nothing too special about that E36. There are plenty out there and they're only going to get cheaper.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)