Should I buy - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 01:46 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I_Hate_My_Honda is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok there is a 94 BMW 325I for sale in my town for $7795 with 137000 miles. I know the people who are selling the car and its my freinds moms old car that she drove and its never been ragged on. its also a 5spd and looks pretty nice but a mechanic is working on it to get the car blowing heat again. If any, thats the only problem with it. Do you beamer owners think this is a deal or does it have too many miles on it to buy. Also are BMW's reliable cars, and what kind of gas mileage does this car get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 01:56 PM
4th Gear Member

BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
you might be able to get it for a little less. try and talk them down. it does have a lot of miles on it and its a 94, but if it has been babied and well maintanenced, then it should last that many more. BMWs are very reliable, but if something does go wrong, god forbid, it might cost a good deal for repairs. try having a mechanic check it out before you make the decision. Gas mileage should be be between 22(city)-30(highway) or somewhere near there. I know highway in my 318i, I get probably 40 miles to a gallon when driving about 70 mph (but I rarely go that slow )

El Presidente and Furious and the other guys will be able to tell you a lot more. They know their shit very well

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
#3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 02:28 PM
5th Gear Member

Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a link to an Autotrader.com national search of 166 325i's for sale. Prices range from $2,495 to $17,900, (average price is $8,585) based on mileage/condition. It's very educational.

Otherwise, the following may help:

Ask them for their maintenance records.What has been fixed, how often has the oil been changed, has the maint. been done by the dealer? Has it been done regularly?

The dealer can prolly look up the VIN and give you a list of the repairs/maintenance that have been done.

Is the mechanic working on it now their regular mechanic? or do they have different non-bmw type mechanics work on it? You can always ask the mechanic if it's been worked on before and what was done.

If they have maint. records, check how much they've been spending.
Is there an owner's manual? If so, check the maint. schedule and call a local dealer to ask them how much various procedures cost. When will the next major maint. procedure be required and how much will it cost? How much does a brake job cost? a wheel alignment? radiator flush? regular required maint?

What condition are the tires in? How much tread is left? Does it drive straight? When was the last brake job?, wheel alignment? other repairs? what was done and how much did it cost? etc., etc.

You should definitely have an independent mechanic/dealer/Automobile club check it out. They more items checked, the better, especially the compression. I know in my area the AAA will provide a report of all things checked and items to be repaired/concerned about.

When mechanical things go wrong it can get expensive. But that applies to pretty much every other car these days.

Bottom line is that there is pretty much nothing like driving a BMW. For the money, it's the best you'll get. Even my 1983 320is, which I drove until 1996, was a blast to drive every day of the 13 years I owned it.

Good luck!

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
#4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Nice BMW-forums name! I'd think we all agree with that

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 12:40 AM
n00b

I_Hate_My_Honda is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Angry

i checked it out and i myself am training to be an automotive technician. The mechanic working on the car lives across the street, and thats how i found out about the car. He said it was a good buy but he works on all kinds of cars not just bmw's. I came to this site to see if you guys think if its a deal and i can buy it by the middle of summer if all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)