BMW Werkz banner

Short Throw Shifter Install Help........

9K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  kyle_baker 
#1 ·
hello all, i've just received a B&M Short Throw Sifter part number 45126 and it came with installation instructions, but i'm stuck on the part removing the old one. I've followed the steps that they list but when it says to turn the bearing ring 1/4 turn counter clockwise to unlock it it turns just alittle bit, about a centimeter. Next steps says "The bearing can now be pushed up through the housing, the shift lever can be withdrawn from inside the vehicle." But how does it come out? There is a cup like part with an Upper and Lower Bearing Retaining Ring and both turn, but they just turn a little bit. Should it just slip right out or do you have to really pull it to get it out? Any help ASAP, my car is unuseable until i finish it, thanx in advanced!

#3 ·
Originally posted by kyle_baker@Jun 22 2005, 05:58 PM
so...........i guess no one knows much about installing short throw shifters. I guess i'll just wait and let a mechanic bill me for it since i can't get any help to do it myself. I followed the instructions but the lever didn't just push right out. thanx anyways. maybe next time.
[snapback]356075[/snapback]​
haha u sound mad because noone responded within 2 hours. u might want to give this thread a little more time before you let a mechanic put his dick in your ass, or look on the net for the answer. im sure its out there

#4 ·
Originally posted by Mortiorchis+Jun 22 2005, 07:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mortiorchis @ Jun 22 2005, 07:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-kyle_baker@Jun 22 2005, 05:58 PM
so...........i guess no one knows much about installing short throw shifters. I guess i'll just wait and let a mechanic bill me for it since i can't get any help to do it myself. I followed the instructions but the lever didn't just push right out. thanx anyways. maybe next time.
[snapback]356075[/snapback]​
haha u sound mad because noone responded within 2 hours. u might want to give this thread a little more time before you let a mechanic put his dick in your ass, or look on the net for the answer. im sure its out there
[snapback]356082[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

damn man, the whole dick and ass thing is just wrong. but yeah i'm pissed off, but just because the bearing ring didn't turn 1/4 turn and let the old lever out, it might be stuck for all i know, i tried to get it to turn more and come out for like 2 hours, oh well, i'm still learning so what can i say.

#8 ·
Well here is the great thing. But first lemme make sure what you've done so far. You've already been underneath the car and undone the "catch" that is there, which I have heard is very very hard to reach with a 6cly car. Then you went back inside the car, took off the trim aound the shift and shift knob off. Then you are taking a feeler gauge or something similar and releasing the other catch, wich is a severe bitch to release. THe one inside the ring with the teeth looking things all the way around. Basically it is a bitch. My mechanic told me he was not able to do it without dropping the tranny out of the 6cly models. I think he said there wasn't room for him to reach the first release, in order to release it all the way. If you've managed to do that, then getting the teeth ring looking thing out is just a bitch and it takes a while. Keep at it.

#9 ·
Are you stuck here?
[attachmentid=22548][attachmentid=22549]
Basically unless you get it unstuck, you'll have to maul it and then find a replacement.
...or you could look here for pictures and a writeup.
UNDERSTEER.COM

Good luck.

Attachments

#10 ·
Originally posted by thekid+Jun 23 2005, 11:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thekid @ Jun 23 2005, 11:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well here is the great thing. But first lemme make sure what you've done so far. You've already been underneath the car and undone the "catch" that is there, which I have heard is very very hard to reach with a 6cly car. Then you went back inside the car, took off the trim aound the shift and shift knob off. Then you are taking a feeler gauge or something similar and releasing the other catch, wich is a severe bitch to release. THe one inside the ring with the teeth looking things all the way around. Basically it is a bitch. My mechanic told me he was not able to do it without dropping the tranny out of the 6cly models. I think he said there wasn't room for him to reach the first release, in order to release it all the way. If you've managed to do that, then getting the teeth ring looking thing out is just a bitch and it takes a while. Keep at it.
[snapback]356304[/snapback]​
[/b]

sounds like you know exactly what i'm talking about, i'll try again tonight.

<!--QuoteBegin-ldsbeaker
@Jun 23 2005, 04:40 PM
Are you stuck here?
[attachmentid=22548][attachmentid=22549]
Basically unless you get it unstuck, you'll have to maul it and then find a replacement.
...or you could look here for pictures and a writeup.
UNDERSTEER.COM

Good luck.
[snapback]356389[/snapback]​
[/quote]

i'll have to check that site out and see if it helps and let you guys know how it goes. it IS a bitch.

EDIT: Actually yes, that is where i am stuck. I turned the top peice as well, but only after trying to turn the lower bearing ring first because the instructions only tell you to turn the lower bearing ring, here is the link to the documentation.......

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/28.pdf

.......and here is the product page.........

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=produ...bcat=15&pid=114

.....if any of you can make better sense out of it than i could please do share, lol

#11 ·
It's tough. Basically what you can do, is break that ring with the teeth. Just make sure you go and get one from the dealership, they are only few bucks. Just go ahead and break it. Take something narrow and flat like a narrow screw driver then take a hammer to it.

#12 ·
well, i have a question..........with the shifter i bought............ http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=produ...bcat=15&pid=114 ....do i need those teeth still? i don't think it needs them, i think it has everything it needs, so could i possibly just break the old ones and pull out the old shifter and put in the new one and it be that easy or does mine still need the teeth things (bearing rings)?

EDIT: it already has the cup thing at the bottoma s you can see from the pic on that link so i'm thinking i may be able to just break the old one out and just put in the new one, that look right to you or do you still think it need those teeth things?

#17 ·
how exactly would this work? i really cant picture how it decreases it by 30 or so %, is the stick just shorter or wht?

oh nd how do u take of the original leather cover that covers your gearstick, mine is all ripped and i should get a new one?

thnx guys

#19 ·
make sure that you grease the white plastic cup, the interior of the shift selector bushes and the head of the linkage arm when you fit your new kit

if you dont you will not get a smooth selection

and that little white cup only rotates a 1/4 turn to unclip it - use two screwdrivers and GIVE IT SOME :)

doesnt matter if you break it - you should have received a replacement with your kit

hth

J...

#22 ·
yeah, mine too evidently, lol, but the instructions say to remove that clip but instead of turnign the upper bearing ring it says to turn the lower bearing ring so maybe this one is supposed to release the whole thing including that blue part from the old one. who knows, lol, anyone know what to do here?

oh yeah, i have soooooooooo many parts coming in for my car, i got a new cat. convertor since my old one is burning out and a UUC DTM cat. back exhaust, new o2 sensor, this short throw shifter, a conforti chip on the way (be here in a week and i can't wait, lol), and soon to order a cosmos cai, wish me luck with installing all of these parts, lol, but for now anyone have any clue witht his shifter?

#24 ·
oh come on, you don't have to give up on it, but i'm just asking for ideas. the blue part is the part that the white cap thing is in on the old shifter so basically instead of just swapping the shaft and reusing the plastic peice i need to swap the whole thing. i'm just wondering how it comes out, the old one that is.

#25 ·
If you still haven't gotten the old shifter out, i would say it's time for the dremel tool. Just don't maul the shifter carrier. (The metal piece that's holding that damn white cup in there) If you just wittle away at the white cup inside the carrier, you should get to the point where it will just fall/pull out.

p.s. I have an E30, but I was wondering what kind of Cat you got. Is it OEM, or maybe a "performance" freer flowing cat?

#26 ·
Originally posted by ldsbeaker@Jun 28 2005, 02:13 PM
If you still haven't gotten the old shifter out, i would say it's time for the dremel tool. Just don't maul the shifter carrier. (The metal piece that's holding that damn white cup in there) If you just wittle away at the white cup inside the carrier, you should get to the point where it will just fall/pull out.

p.s. I have an E30, but I was wondering what kind of Cat you got. Is it OEM, or maybe a "performance" freer flowing cat?
[snapback]358001[/snapback]​
thank you for your reply..

about the shifter, as far as i can tell my new shifter comes with its own shifter carrier (if that is the cup like thing that the white ring is inside of. I took pics of it and they are above. See if that is what you meant.

about the cat., i ordered a cheap cat coverter. it is not oem, but i have recieved it and it appears ti be in great condition. It is not a performance cat., but a stock replacement (non-oem stock replacement). If you are interested in them here is the link....... http://www.all-catalytic-converters.com/ .....i saved approximately $130 on the cat. converter alone rather than buying from BavAuto. True BavAuto has better quality cat. converters, but they both burn out after about 80-100,000 miles anyways. Shipping is free from their site and fast. I would suggest them, so far, but i'll let you know for sure when i get it installed. I will be installing it tonight. Wish me luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.