Shocks&struts...help! What Is This? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
So the local shop is telling me my shocks are okay...for now.
in fact, they all bounce very well...my rear drivers side creaks a little...but the creaking has taken a vacation. used

Anyway I looked at the front drivers side shocks myself this morning I find this little loose piece and dirty crusty cushion foam thing...
and it sort of looks not too good to me...

What is this and what exactly do I need to do? or replace?

Old 08-18-2005, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
When you say they all bounce very well what do you mean? Because the shocks are supposed to stop the car from bouncing, so if it is bouncing a lot and the mechanic is saying it's ok for now, then your local shop needs new mechanics.

And that crusty foam thingy, I'm going to take a guess and say it's in case your shocks bottom out it'll stop the shock from hitting the tower metal to metal which would be bad.

///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet
Ljk619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: Anthracite e39 530iA
Photos:
Dudesky_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
^^That's called a bump stop, but it does very little. Don't worry about its condition, unless you're planning on doing a couple of 3ft drops with your car It takes a hell of a lotta force to bottom out your struts (they're struts in the front, not shocks). It can't be replaced anyway, unless you remove the whole strut assembly and take it apart.

The sleeve however, should be attached to the bump stop; it just snaps on to the bump stop. Together, they form a cover over the seal at the top of the strut housing, where the rod slides in and out. It keeps debris from damaging the seal.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
^^ damn early risers, he beat me to it. Nothing to worry about, I don't even have them on my car any more.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
cloaked95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dudesky_E36@Aug 18 2005, 06:05 AM
^^That's called a bump stop, but it does very little. Don't worry about its condition, unless you're planning on doing a couple of 3ft drops with your car It takes a hell of a lotta force to bottom out your struts (they're struts in the front, not shocks). It can't be replaced anyway, unless you remove the whole strut assembly and take it apart.

The sleeve however, should be attached to the bump stop; it just snaps on to the bump stop. Together, they form a cover over the seal at the top of the strut housing, where the rod slides in and out. It keeps debris from damaging the seal.
[snapback]370474[/snapback]
Nice Post Dudesky!!!!
cloaked95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)