Shocks, springs, and suspension suggestions please! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wonderboy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Shocks, springs, and suspension suggestions please!

My car is a 95 318i convert, teh suspension is absolutely devastated! Shock mounts rattle in the rear. Wobbling in teh front end. Bottom out going slow/fast over any bump. and to top it all off.... the girlfriend is getting annoyed with it. (LIKE I NEED HER BITCH'N...)

What i'm looking for is a kit to stiff'n up teh ride. If it doesn't go like hell i'd like it to handle well @least. I don't wanna bottom out anymore, and i want that damn rattle to STOP!!!

Anyhow... I've been look'n around on teh interweb and don't really kn ow what to get for my car. I looked @ Bavauto, seems like a good bilstein and spring kit. Any thoughts?

Also looked @ pelican, TurnerMS, BMP, JleviSW, all of them kinda have similar stuff for what i'm look'n for.

I don't really wanna spend more than $800 or $900... in fact less is better.

So any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I pretty much piss excellence!

Last edited by Wonderboy; 07-14-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Wow, your girlfriend is willing to let you spend money on your car over her? Take advantage of this situation NOW!

In terms of suspension there are a few routes you can go. I understand not wanting to spend a ton of money but also realize if your shocks/springs are in that bad enough shape where it bottoms out it is likely you will need to replace other components like control arms, upper shock mounts, upper strut bearings, sway bar end links, etc. I would definitely change the strut bearings and shock mounts definitely when doing the suspension because it is likely they are worn pretty bad as well.

I would definitely look at the Bilstein shock and spring packages that Bavarian Autosport sells as well as the packages that Turner Motorsport has on sale. I'm currently running Bilstein sports with H&R lowering springs on my E39 and the ride and handling is really solid (although I'm now looking at coilovers).
#3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
I highly recommend the Bilstein Sports and I always hear good things about H&R Sport springs. Seems like a good combo for a lot of people. I would agree with BimmerE39 that you should probably check out other components on the car and make sure they don't need replacing and if so it would be good to replace everything at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

k.sidlosky is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to k.sidlosky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_318is View Post
I highly recommend the Bilstein Sports and I always hear good things about H&R Sport springs. Seems like a good combo for a lot of people. I would agree with BimmerE39 that you should probably check out other components on the car and make sure they don't need replacing and if so it would be good to replace everything at the same time.
++1

|Dinan Intake|Schrick Cams|24lb Injectors|809 HFM|M50 Manifold|TMS Stage IV+|Dinan Strut Brace|Samco Hoses|UUC Pulley||UUC SSK DSSR|DDM Coilovers|Fikse FM10|Brembo Rotors|Hawk Pads|AA Exhaust|Alpine|Audiobahn|Sony|
#5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
+1 with Nick318is......& TireRack.com seems to have the best prices on the Bilstein Sport shocks & struts.....& the H&R Sport spring set......

also.....BimmerE39 is correct, check those other suspension components for play & wear!

jb

#6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

jmo69 is on a distinguished road
Garage
If you're on a budget like I am, I bought Bilstein touring struts and Monroe shocks. The struts and mounts came from US Autoparts and the shocks and mounts from AutoParts Train. The total cost was about $400. If you need control arms and such, check out FCP Groton, they have packages with control arms and bushings, tie rods and end links for about $200 or less if you find them on e-bay. BMW E36 3-Series Control Arms

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
Wow, your girlfriend is willing to let you spend money on your car over her? Take advantage of this situation NOW!
I know right?!?! I have a real keeper! She drives a E90 330i. so she understands what a BMW can and should ride and handle like. Plus, she loves the convertible...

Anyhow, so i read all the posts and wanna thank you guys. I had my Mech look @ it a while ago and he said that we're looking pretty good as far as the other components are doing.

I curious about the Bavauto springs.... how much do we (as a collective community) know about those springs?

and i found this kit as well.... any thoughts?
BMP design : H&R Race Springs/Bilsteins (Drop F2.0/R1.3)

Thanks WERKZ... lemme know!

#8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
OH!!!! and how good are the H&R Cup Kits?

#9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
I know right?!?! I have a real keeper! She drives a E90 330i. so she understands what a BMW can and should ride and handle like. Plus, she loves the convertible...
Good for you man. Bimmer chicks are always the best.

Quote:
Anyhow, so i read all the posts and wanna thank you guys. I had my Mech look @ it a while ago and he said that we're looking pretty good as far as the other components are doing.
That's definitely good news because collectively all that stuff adds up real quick.

Quote:
I curious about the Bavauto springs.... how much do we (as a collective community) know about those springs?
I've purchased a lot of stuff through Bavarian Autosport as I live in CT and the shipping is ridiculously quick. The springs from my understanding are a very mild change from stock and also have minor increase in spring rates with a minor drop. I don't know who the manufacturer is but I'd imagine they are probably made by Eibach or H&R for Bavarian Autosport with Bavarian Autosport specs. I would stay away from them if you want a more aggressive drop and a tighter ride.

Quote:
and i found this kit as well.... any thoughts?
BMP design : H&R Race Springs/Bilsteins (Drop F2.0/R1.3)
The Bilstein sports are the same as you would buy from anywhere else. However, the H&R race springs give you a more aggressive drop (probably the most aggressive you can go with lowering springs reliably) with a stiffer ride over the sport. Personally, if I wanted to drop my car that much I would go with coilovers but that's just me.

Quote:
OH!!!! and how good are the H&R Cup Kits?
The H&R cupkits are really solid and very well balanced. Instead of Bilstein sports you're getting H&R sports which are pretty much the same thing. This is just a complete package from the same manufacturer...although I'm pretty sure H&R and Bilstein are the same company (or part of the same company) so you really can't go wrong either way.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
****BimmerE39****
Dude that is what i wanted to know and hear. I really appreciate the info. I will probably go buy the H&R cup kit today. i've talked to a lot of others about this as well and im getting consistent info. Its good to hear.

thanks peeps!

#11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Mr. Clean

Garage
Quote:
****BimmerE39****
Dude that is what i wanted to know and hear. I really appreciate the info. I will probably go buy the H&R cup kit today. i've talked to a lot of others about this as well and im getting consistent info. Its good to hear.

thanks peeps!
No problem man, glad I could help out. Let us know how everything works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)