Shifting techniques - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:57 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
318i-Bmw is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok first off im really new to straight drive cars. I was just wondering why the car seems to jump(rock back and forth) when im power shifting from 1st to 2nd gear? I think it could be that im riding the clutch or not giving enough gas........ ne help wood be great thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

Scarface is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Scarface
I am no expert but it sounds like maybe your tires are spinning and switching back and forth if thats what you mean(car rocking side to side)

-1998 BMW 540i6(Axis Penta 20's,M5 shadow grilles,trunk lip,led tails,oem front lip,PIAA lighting)
-2002 Cadillac Escalade(Zinik Luina 22's,OEM HID upgrade)
#3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:21 PM
5th Gear Member

the///man is an unknown quantity at this point
letting too much off the gas
#4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:58 PM
n00b

sphereace2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats pretty much normal to noobies driving sticks(no offense, just a dscription).
Try this, when you shift to second, slowly let go of the clutch while (slowly pressing the gas pedal) accelerating it. When I say slowly, its a lil bit faster than releasing it while your in first gear. Hope this helps.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Neutral Member

635csiluver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 635csiluver Send a message via MSN to 635csiluver
Quote:
Thats pretty much normal to noobies driving sticks(no offense, just a dscription).
Try this, when you shift to second, slowly let go of the clutch while (slowly pressing the gas pedal) accelerating it. When I say slowly, its a lil bit faster than releasing it while your in first gear. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem but the best solution is what sphereace2000 said.

<span style='color:green'>&quot;luck of the Irish&quot;</span> hell i'm welsh, is that close enough?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:59 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
Quote:
Originally posted by bimmer328isss@Sep 9 2003, 10:01 PM
letting too much off the gas
i was thinking the same thing. it takes a while to get the right touch
#7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yea i know how to shift really smooth by SLOWLY letting go of the clutch and SLOWLY pushing the throttle. But when I wind out 1st gear at 4-5 rpm and shift to second, its jumpy. I think that im not letting go of the clutch fast enough - or - im not getting on the gas fast enough. I also was told that if you wind out 1st and shift to second, the engine actually has to slow down. This is why i think that i need to give it more gas. Am i right???????
#8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:17 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
well my car is jumpy if i release the clutch too quickly during the 1-2 shift at low RPM's however if i wind it out and blip the clutch it is actually smoother. try to disengage the clutch quickly then bring up rpm;s on the motor if done properly you wont even be able to tell. if this is your first time driving a manual transmission you might be feeling normal quirks with it. practice makes perfect when operating a manual transmission.

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 02:14 AM
n00b

Chris_Topher is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll toss this in - Two phases to a manual upshift (1-2) gear change:

1. DISENGAGE 1st GEAR: Try to smoothly (and quickly) step on the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, then ease off of the gas only AFTER the clutch is disengaged and only enough so that the engine RPM falls to the matching 2nd gear rpm that you will soon engage. This is quick and simultaneous. If you let off of the gas before the clutch is fully disengaged, then you are setting up your first opportunity for a rocking (bucking) motion as the slowing engine speed pitches the car forward.

2. ENGAGE 2nd GEAR: After you move the shift lever from 1st to 2nd gear, try to engage the clutch (ease your foot off of the clutch pedal) at the appropriate matched rpms for your vehicle speed in 2nd gear. Do this as your rpms are falling from 1st gear. Control the descent of the rpms from 1st-2nd gear with your right foot. Engageing the clutch at too high or too low an rpm will set you up for more bucking.

So the message here is to be GENTLE with the gas pedal. Even when you are wanting to floor it, do it smoothly and gently.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 05:21 AM
5th Gear Member

BeemerMan will become famous soon enough BeemerMan will become famous soon enough
Time will determine your expertise. Just keep driving man, or perhaps you may need a new clutch. aha jumping jupiters, that's probably it!

#11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 12:10 PM
n00b

eclypser is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to eclypser Send a message via MSN to eclypser Send a message via Yahoo to eclypser
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Topher@Sep 12 2003, 01:54 AM
Control the descent of the rpms from 1st-2nd gear with your right foot. Engageing the clutch at too high or too low an rpm will set you up for more bucking.

So the message here is to be GENTLE with the gas pedal. Even when you are wanting to floor it, do it smoothly and gently.
If you are too high up in 1st then the descent to second is a lot rougher, you want to keep the rpm at a smooth transition by keeping the shifts from being as far apart on the tach.

To illustrate what I'm saying. Think of shifting down to second gear from third when your rpm is still too high. You will end up spinning the tires because of the big change. The opposite is what is happening to you.

How to fix? Don't redline it. The powerband does not necesitate that for the quickest times. There is a sweet shift spot you have to find.

Had 95 M3, then 99 M3, then 01 M3,

Then I got married and bought a House.

Now I've got 89 325i and 96 328is both jet black two doors with 3 pedals.

BUT I'm working my way back up to the M.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Oh ok so ur saying that i should get on the clutch kind of fast? so that the rpms dont drop while i have the clutch disengaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)