BMW Werkz banner

Shift Knob...

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Gomerino 
#1 ·
This is my old shift knob... I've replaced it recently and cannot find that insert anywhere. Bavauto and the dealership tried to give me one that looks the same but did not fit. it was perfectly round; it needs to be oval shaped.

[attachmentid=15408]

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
tom

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
ok, sorry, I'll try this again. The above picture is my old OEM shift knob. As you can see, it was in rough shape. A few months ago, I tried to replace it. I ordered another OEM shift knob from Bavauto
[attachmentid=15435]

instead of having the //M emblem in it, I wanted the same insert as my stock knob. Bavauto as well as the dealership both gave me this...
[attachmentid=15436]

looks the same yes, but it isn't. This insert is perfectly round. The space in the stock E36 knob is oval, so the insert would have to be oval.

[attachmentid=15437] this is oval

I am asking, has anyone seen this knob? Does anyone know where to get this insert if it exists? Or do I have to get a knob with this insert already in it? If so, where?

I brought all these questions to the dealership a few months ago, I think they are still scratching their heads today.

I hope this is a little more clear
sorry and thanks
tom

Attachments

#8 ·
Had the same problem, and I wound up just buying a whole new knob. It doesn't make any sense. :confused

BTW, if anyone wants a round insert like the one in the middle above (///Motorsports stripe with gate pattern) I have one that is just sitting there.

#9 ·
I have exactly the same situation--mine's getting a little faded, and they don't carry the M stripes in oval at the dealer--they don't seem to be available anymore. I did look to see if any on ebay, but only saw something similar with illumination knob--too much $. I'd like to stick with the original knob setup. Let me know if you have any luck.

#10 ·
Originally posted by jllphan@Dec 6 2004, 07:38 AM
Had the same problem, and I wound up just buying a whole new knob. It doesn't make any sense. :confused

BTW, if anyone wants a round insert like the one in the middle above (///Motorsports stripe with gate pattern) I have one that is just sitting there.
[snapback]244362[/snapback]​

I have like 3 diff. inserts laying around now, I ended up putting the //M insert in since it was the only that would fit... sucks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.