severe problems with 318is. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
john_18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry severe problems with 318is.

Hey guys im in need of some serious advice. I have a 95 318is with 150,000 miles on it. 2 months ago my car conched out cold and had to be towed to the dealership where they said they knew what was wrong with it, which is as follows.

- the DME had to be replaced as water shorted out the circuit.
-valves were stuck open and had to pull the head to have some valves rebuilt and slides were shattered, and other head work.
- replaced knock sensor and cam sensor.
-new plugs

My mechanic now says that mechanically the car is in superb shape after all this work. He also tells me that electronically the car is flawless, the DME works properly, BUT IT STILL WILL NOT START!

injectors are firing, belts are all new, battery is a year old, oil and everything is good.

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS IN THEIR LIFE? AND WHAT THE HECK CAN I DO TO HELP MY MECHANIC GET THIS BACK ON THE ROAD.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
When you say electronically, you mean he's tested the spark plugs, wires, coils and everything else to make sure that the spark is making it all the way?

So the injectors are firing so gas is making it to the engine and the spark is making it all the way to the engine right?
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sandman_e1ka is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,
I think i have the same problem. i got the same car only its a 94 model. I left the radio on while i was working. the battery died on me. so they told me to change bat. i did. it start and ran great. but when i stop to gets some food when i got back to the car, IT WASNT STARTING!! nothing at all! as if the battery is dead. but its new.. NEED SOME HELP! My mech is scratching his head.. check everything is OKEY!!! dont know waht do do anymore..
sandman_e1ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
john_18 is an unknown quantity at this point
kid,

thanks for the response. I didnt even think to ask him about the coils and wiring. When he told me everything was working fine I assumed he had checked all of this but I might have to make a call and see if he has checked it. He did tell me the the injectors will spray so I know they are working. What exactly does the coil do anyway?

-John
Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
The ignition coils are what takes the spark from the starter to the spark plug. He'll have something that looks like a screwdriver with a little light bulb inside. If the bulb lights up, then the spark is making it where it needs to go. If the bulb lights up and the injectors are firing... I'm out of clues, because then basically everything that the engine needs to work is being provided... So have him check those out... if they work... you might have serious problem.. or something simple is being over looked some where...
Old 04-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos:
crap... missed the time to edit... It cant' just be a coil, for some reason they would all have to be bad, otherwise it would start and run strange... but the important thing is to make sure that the spark and fuel are both getting all the way to the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)