several questions, please look!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 PM
LYFE SUCK5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
(Thread Starter)
several questions, please look!!!

instead of making a few different threads, ill just combine all of my questions into one.

1. my driver side door has alot of knicks and scratches on it that are too deep to be buffed/waxed out. would it be cheaper to get this repainted or get a new door and have that painted? and if the latter would be cheaper, where can i get a new door for a good price?

2.i just got my car back from getting a few things done on it, which included a tune-up (new plugs, various filters) and oil change, and it still isn't running great. it has a very rough and lumpy idle, i can feel it through my seat when im at idle at a stoplight or something, and sometimes when i first start it up it trys to stall out, and does sometimes. i do have a stupid k&n cone filter on it, could this be the culprit?

3. where is the cheapest place to get the stock airbox and filter for this car? ever since i had this crappy k&n filter it hasnt run very well.

(pictured below)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW9.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	23597  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
1. Ill let someone more experienced answer this.

2. Search this forum for ICV (idle control valve). You need to clean that. I dotn know where it is on your car but that is your culprit.

3. Clean the ICV and no worries. If you need one you could probably find one on bimmerforums classifieds section.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
instead of making a few different threads, ill just combine all of my questions into one.

1. my driver side door has alot of knicks and scratches on it that are too deep to be buffed/waxed out. would it be cheaper to get this repainted or get a new door and have that painted? and if the latter would be cheaper, where can i get a new door for a good price?

2.i just got my car back from getting a few things done on it, which included a tune-up (new plugs, various filters) and oil change, and it still isn't running great. it has a very rough and lumpy idle, i can feel it through my seat when im at idle at a stoplight or something, and sometimes when i first start it up it trys to stall out, and does sometimes. i do have a stupid k&n cone filter on it, could this be the culprit?

3. where is the cheapest place to get the stock airbox and filter for this car? ever since i had this crappy k&n filter it hasnt run very well.

(pictured below)
my guess for the door is just get it repainted... you'd be wasting time replacing it when its just some paint flaws...

also is your idle jumping like it wants to stall? or is it just too low an idle? if its too low an idle you can adjust it right next to where it goes in the engine (throttle cable has a little threaded part next to the manifold... theres 2 on there one is from the icv the other is from your pedal... i would adjust both if this is the culprit...)<-- any questions about that stuff just ask...

cheapest place to find a stock airbox is gonna be your local junk yard... and for filter i wouldnt go with a used filter id drop in a k&n filter thats made to fit the box... but really i dont think the cone intake you have now is the culprit... but you would benifit ALOT i believe if you fab'd up a heat shield of some sort for it...
#4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
1. Ill let someone more experienced answer this.

2. Search this forum for ICV (idle control valve). You need to clean that. I dotn know where it is on your car but that is your culprit.

3. Clean the ICV and no worries. If you need one you could probably find one on bimmerforums classifieds section.
thats exactly what i was thinking when i read this, but im pretty sure he can save his current ICV and just clean it with an alcohol based cleaner... check this link out about it... http://www.bmwe36tips.20m.com/unstable-idle.htm

Last edited by saltshaker185; 04-26-2006 at 11:19 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Sodium Chloride

i would just edit, but its not letting me but sorry about the multiple posts in a row but found this on the site and thought you shuold know about it...

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/mai...-idle-444.html

ps. you can thank furious for being a genious.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:54 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
i would just edit, but its not letting me but sorry about the multiple posts in a row but found this on the site and thought you shuold know about it...

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/mai...-idle-444.html

ps. you can thank furious for being a genious.
lol im not a genious, just relaying information.

the door issue i would just get it repainted, finding a new door that will have the same paint and not to mention if you find the same colour , will you find one that has faded like yours has.

use the link for number 2

for the K&N filter, if its still running shitty after the ICV fix, than try extending the filter lower and further away from the engine , it very possible that its sucking suffering due to sucking hot air... you can also try to make a heat shield , it may help out as well.... ALSO in that picture it kinda looks like the intake boot is a bit twisted.

#7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:02 AM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
(Thread Starter)
yeah, im just gonna return the factory airbox and eliminate all potential problems with the k&n

im trying to make this into a "show" car more than a "go" car. when i want a speed fix i just hop on the bike or 944.

Last edited by Ivan; 04-27-2006 at 12:04 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 AM
LYFE SUCK5

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the advice and links guys, wish me luck!
#9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:09 AM
LYFE SUCK5

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
my guess for the door is just get it repainted... you'd be wasting time replacing it when its just some paint flaws...

also is your idle jumping like it wants to stall? or is it just too low an idle? if its too low an idle you can adjust it right next to where it goes in the engine (throttle cable has a little threaded part next to the manifold... theres 2 on there one is from the icv the other is from your pedal... i would adjust both if this is the culprit...)<-- any questions about that stuff just ask...

cheapest place to find a stock airbox is gonna be your local junk yard... and for filter i wouldnt go with a used filter id drop in a k&n filter thats made to fit the box... but really i dont think the cone intake you have now is the culprit... but you would benifit ALOT i believe if you fab'd up a heat shield of some sort for it...
and no it idles at around 700rpm or so, but sometimes when slowing down the car and declining revs, upon coming into idle speed again, it stays at about 1000rpm for a second or two and then returns to 700.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Also check on Ebay for a stock airbox and filter, though I doubt the K&N is your problem.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 AM
LYFE SUCK5

(Thread Starter)
yeah but i bet it aint helpin
#12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:22 AM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
im curious as to how it would not help the car, but rather mess with the idle, it is an air filter? Is this a common thing.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Quote:
thats exactly what i was thinking when i read this, but im pretty sure he can save his current ICV and just clean it with an alcohol based cleaner... check this link out about it... http://www.bmwe36tips.20m.com/unstable-idle.htm
Uh yeah I never said buy a new ICV. I said clean it.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Clean the ICV...

Door... depends on the damage... Get a paint shop to take a look... they might want to just buff her out... and then fill... and repaint...

Turner Motor sports has intakes... rather good ones.. not cheap though.. you get what you pay for with BMW aftermarket parts.

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Sodium Chloride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
lol im not a genious, just relaying information.
im just trying to get a little blush out of you... haha

Quote:
yeah, im just gonna return the factory airbox and eliminate all potential problems with the k&n

im trying to make this into a "show" car more than a "go" car. when i want a speed fix i just hop on the bike or 944.
IMO- a nice looking CAI and heat shield just tops off a show car... unless your not planning on cleanin up that engine bay...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)