BMW Werkz banner

several questions, please look!!!

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  saltshaker185 
#1 ·
instead of making a few different threads, ill just combine all of my questions into one.

1. my driver side door has alot of knicks and scratches on it that are too deep to be buffed/waxed out. would it be cheaper to get this repainted or get a new door and have that painted? and if the latter would be cheaper, where can i get a new door for a good price?

2.i just got my car back from getting a few things done on it, which included a tune-up (new plugs, various filters) and oil change, and it still isn't running great. it has a very rough and lumpy idle, i can feel it through my seat when im at idle at a stoplight or something, and sometimes when i first start it up it trys to stall out, and does sometimes. i do have a stupid k&n cone filter on it, could this be the culprit?

3. where is the cheapest place to get the stock airbox and filter for this car? ever since i had this crappy k&n filter it hasnt run very well.

(pictured below)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Ill let someone more experienced answer this.

2. Search this forum for ICV (idle control valve). You need to clean that. I dotn know where it is on your car but that is your culprit.

3. Clean the ICV and no worries. If you need one you could probably find one on bimmerforums classifieds section.

#3 ·
Ivan said:
instead of making a few different threads, ill just combine all of my questions into one.

1. my driver side door has alot of knicks and scratches on it that are too deep to be buffed/waxed out. would it be cheaper to get this repainted or get a new door and have that painted? and if the latter would be cheaper, where can i get a new door for a good price?

2.i just got my car back from getting a few things done on it, which included a tune-up (new plugs, various filters) and oil change, and it still isn't running great. it has a very rough and lumpy idle, i can feel it through my seat when im at idle at a stoplight or something, and sometimes when i first start it up it trys to stall out, and does sometimes. i do have a stupid k&n cone filter on it, could this be the culprit?

3. where is the cheapest place to get the stock airbox and filter for this car? ever since i had this crappy k&n filter it hasnt run very well.

(pictured below)
my guess for the door is just get it repainted... you'd be wasting time replacing it when its just some paint flaws...

also is your idle jumping like it wants to stall? or is it just too low an idle? if its too low an idle you can adjust it right next to where it goes in the engine (throttle cable has a little threaded part next to the manifold... theres 2 on there one is from the icv the other is from your pedal... i would adjust both if this is the culprit...)<-- any questions about that stuff just ask...

cheapest place to find a stock airbox is gonna be your local junk yard... and for filter i wouldnt go with a used filter id drop in a k&n filter thats made to fit the box... but really i dont think the cone intake you have now is the culprit... but you would benifit ALOT i believe if you fab'd up a heat shield of some sort for it...

#4 · (Edited)
///M Power said:
1. Ill let someone more experienced answer this.

2. Search this forum for ICV (idle control valve). You need to clean that. I dotn know where it is on your car but that is your culprit.

3. Clean the ICV and no worries. If you need one you could probably find one on bimmerforums classifieds section.
thats exactly what i was thinking when i read this, but im pretty sure he can save his current ICV and just clean it with an alcohol based cleaner... check this link out about it... http://www.bmwe36tips.20m.com/unstable-idle.htm

#6 ·
saltshaker185 said:
i would just edit, but its not letting me but sorry about the multiple posts in a row but found this on the site and thought you shuold know about it...

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/maintenance-troubleshooting/unstable-e36-idle-444.html

ps. you can thank furious for being a genious.
lol im not a genious, just relaying information.

the door issue i would just get it repainted, finding a new door that will have the same paint and not to mention if you find the same colour , will you find one that has faded like yours has.

use the link for number 2

for the K&N filter, if its still running shitty after the ICV fix, than try extending the filter lower and further away from the engine , it very possible that its sucking suffering due to sucking hot air... you can also try to make a heat shield , it may help out as well.... ALSO in that picture it kinda looks like the intake boot is a bit twisted.

#9 ·
saltshaker185 said:
my guess for the door is just get it repainted... you'd be wasting time replacing it when its just some paint flaws...

also is your idle jumping like it wants to stall? or is it just too low an idle? if its too low an idle you can adjust it right next to where it goes in the engine (throttle cable has a little threaded part next to the manifold... theres 2 on there one is from the icv the other is from your pedal... i would adjust both if this is the culprit...)<-- any questions about that stuff just ask...

cheapest place to find a stock airbox is gonna be your local junk yard... and for filter i wouldnt go with a used filter id drop in a k&n filter thats made to fit the box... but really i dont think the cone intake you have now is the culprit... but you would benifit ALOT i believe if you fab'd up a heat shield of some sort for it...
and no it idles at around 700rpm or so, but sometimes when slowing down the car and declining revs, upon coming into idle speed again, it stays at about 1000rpm for a second or two and then returns to 700.

#10 ·
Also check on Ebay for a stock airbox and filter, though I doubt the K&N is your problem.

#14 ·
Clean the ICV...

Door... depends on the damage... Get a paint shop to take a look... they might want to just buff her out... and then fill... and repaint...

Turner Motor sports has intakes... rather good ones.. not cheap though.. you get what you pay for with BMW aftermarket parts.

Les

#15 ·
Furious said:
lol im not a genious, just relaying information.
:D im just trying to get a little blush out of you... haha

yeah, im just gonna return the factory airbox and eliminate all potential problems with the k&n

im trying to make this into a "show" car more than a "go" car. when i want a speed fix i just hop on the bike or 944.
IMO- a nice looking CAI and heat shield just tops off a show car... unless your not planning on cleanin up that engine bay...

#16 ·
saltshaker185 said:
:D im just trying to get a little blush out of you... haha

IMO- a nice looking CAI and heat shield just tops off a show car... unless your not planning on cleanin up that engine bay...

i want to if it wont cost a whole lot. and something tells me if i tried to make a heat shield out it wouldnt look too great lol. can you buy them pre made?

#17 ·
Ivan said:
i want to if it wont cost a whole lot. and something tells me if i tried to make a heat shield out it wouldnt look too great lol. can you buy them pre made?
you can buy them pre made but personally i would find a local welder or metal worker and show them a picture of what you want...its really a pretty simple concept if you know what your looking for...

if you want to give it a shot yourself, heres a nice link just for you...

http://home.comcast.net/~matthew.c.smith/mods/cais/index.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.