Sell or Fix - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
frick217 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Sell or Fix

I have a 98 328is with 137000 miles, exterior in good shape, as is interior minus ripping on driver's seat. All electronics work and car has been garage kept and well taken care of. In the past 45 days though ive had a windshield crack ($300), the radiator expansion tank burst ($205), power steering go out ($800), and now after having the expansion tank "fixed" when i idled it it started to over heat (about 10 minutes).

had it towed to the dealership this time (had been a private mechanic), they drove it six miles and let it idle, then where the radiator neck meets the upper radiator house it burst. a new radiator is now needed ($1500), im negoitaging to get it done at a reduced cost or free since it happened on their watch.

ive got the service records. New tires, new front break, new windshield, oil changes in line with standards, new rear view mirror, new power steering, alignment and balancing done in past 4K miles, ect..

should i give up on this one and sell it as is? Should i fix and sell? or should i fix and hold onto it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
4DoorWhore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Well coming from a fellow owner of a 98 E36/4 328i i say keep it. Im hoping your love of the car overcomes the problems its had.

Now, the costs you have listed are extremley high. This indiciates to me that either you went to the BMW dealership for these fixes or that you got ripped off. A powersteering pump can be had for about $200 for our car, the high pressure hose $100, and the resevoir and non pressure hose both for less then $100. Thats less then $400 in parts, and can be fixed in under 3 hours by yourself. I know this because ive done it. Its so much cheaper to fix things yourself if you have any mechanical ability.

Also a new radiator is NOT $1,500!! Even a brand new OEM one. Because they had the car and it broke while THEY were driving it, THEY should fix it for free. Im assuming you never signed anything indicating you approved the repair, and if so their liable for the damage, or at least should be.

Service records help keep the resale value up. A car with a full documented history will 90% of the time sell for more then one without so good for you for keeping it all. With all the work you have put into it i would suggest to keep it and enjoy the new parts. The coolant system is prone to failure so if it was the original OEM expansion tank that broke then i wouldnt be worried about it.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)