Seeking advice re: heavy traffic & LSD gear choices - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wayoutcat is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Seeking advice re: heavy traffic & LSD gear choices

Hello brothers and sisters of the propeller rondel.

Short version:

If I remember correctly, the lowest diff gears that have LSD are 3.15 and 3.23. Has anyone here switched from a stock 328 2.93 diff to one of those and found it much more annoying in bad traffic?

Long Version of Question with background, etc:

I have done a lot of searches reading about Limited Slip to see if anyone has asked this question before. Many came close. But I just have to ask:

Those of you who have heavy traffic to deal with but like me cannot stand to drive an automatic may have noticed that the easygoing stock rear diff ratio makes most BMWs surprisingly un-annoying to drive in stop and go traffic. : ) This is good. This is not the problem.

I noticed this as soon as I bought my used '98 328 a few months back. First gear is so gradual that you can creep along in bumper to bumper MUCH easier than in ANY other manual trans car I have ever driven. Very nice.

Sadly, my diff (probably a 2.93) does not have Limited Slip, which is a bummer for performance and ice driving...

So my question is: Has anyone experienced regret at changing to an LSD rear differential with regards to ease of use in heavy traffic conditions?

I have noticed that the LSD ratios are substantially higher than my stock 2.93. For someone who lives in a crowded metropolitan area, a lot of these are out of the question for a daily driver, but even the lowest ones give me pause.

If I remember correctly, the lowest diff gears that have LSD are 3.15 and 3.23. Has anyone here switched from a stock 328 2.93 diff to one of those and found it much more annoying in bad traffic?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)